RE: [beemonitoring] (1) Vane Traps Response & (2) Question about journal recommendation(s) for upcoming publications

  • Nicholas Stewart
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2012
      Very true - I simply use the same detergent water in them I use in my pans. Not a true "killing agent" but effective.

      Nicholas Glynn Stewart

      North Georgia Native Pollinator Laboratory

      Lab A1300
      1000 University Center Lane
      Lawrenceville, GA 30043

      nick.s2art@... (PRIMARY)
      nstewart@...
      (404) 784-6236

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2012
        I use simple unscented dish soap and water in mine, but I never fill them all the way up, only about 1/3 to 1/2 otherwise I have had the basses fall off or crack off especially with any wind or pesky bird landing on it.

        -Ray Geroff

      • David_r_smith@fws.gov
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2012

          Speaking of killing agents, has anyone ever used propylene glycol and soapy water in the jars used on malaise traps?  I was concerned about larger insects stomping around on the little guys before the pest strip killed them.
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2012
            We have used glycol in the trap heads in malaise traps without any problem...often add a little soap, but just as often forget.  Pest strips can get pretty smelly and certainly everything gets covered with most scales in those traps if they aren't tended often.

            Dirge in the Woods

            A wind sways the pines,
                 And below
            Not a breath of wild air;
            Still as the mosses that glow
            On the flooring and over the lines
            Of the roots here and there.
            The pine-tree drops its dead;
            They are quiet, as under the sea.
            Overhead, overhead
            Rushes life in a race,
            As the clouds the clouds chase;
                 And we go,
            And we drop like the fruits of the tree,
                 Even we,
                 Even so.

                   - George Meredith

            From:David_r_smith@...