RE: [beemonitoring] (1) Vane Traps Response & (2) Question about journal recommendation(s) for upcoming publications

  • Cane, Jim
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2012

      Folks- as regards vane traps, note that without a killing agent inside, some bees will escape.  Over one noon hour, I introduced 3 live Halictus to each of 3 empty vane traps.  I watched several fly out within the first minute, and after an hour, all were gone.

      Yours,

      Jim Cane

    • Nicholas Stewart
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2012
        Very true - I simply use the same detergent water in them I use in my pans. Not a true "killing agent" but effective.

        Nicholas Glynn Stewart

        North Georgia Native Pollinator Laboratory

        Lab A1300
        1000 University Center Lane
        Lawrenceville, GA 30043

        nick.s2art@... (PRIMARY)
        nstewart@...
        (404) 784-6236

        Folks- as regards vane traps, note that without a killing agent inside, some bees will escape.  Over one noon hour, I introduced 3 live Halictus to each of 3 empty vane traps.  I watched several fly out within the first minute, and after an hour, all were gone.

        Yours,

        Jim Cane

      • Ray K Geroff
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2012
          I use simple unscented dish soap and water in mine, but I never fill them all the way up, only about 1/3 to 1/2 otherwise I have had the basses fall off or crack off especially with any wind or pesky bird landing on it.

          -Ray Geroff

        • David_r_smith@fws.gov
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2012

            Speaking of killing agents, has anyone ever used propylene glycol and soapy water in the jars used on malaise traps?  I was concerned about larger insects stomping around on the little guys before the pest strip killed them.
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2012
              We have used glycol in the trap heads in malaise traps without any problem...often add a little soap, but just as often forget.  Pest strips can get pretty smelly and certainly everything gets covered with most scales in those traps if they aren't tended often.

              Dirge in the Woods

              A wind sways the pines,
                   And below
              Not a breath of wild air;
              Still as the mosses that glow
              On the flooring and over the lines
              Of the roots here and there.
              The pine-tree drops its dead;
              They are quiet, as under the sea.
              Overhead, overhead
              Rushes life in a race,
              As the clouds the clouds chase;
                   And we go,
              And we drop like the fruits of the tree,
                   Even we,
                   Even so.

                     - George Meredith

              From:David_r_smith@...