RE: [beemonitoring] sad news for sweat bees

  • John Ascher
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 26, 2012
      Doug,

      I can only speak for myself, but rather than being forced to retain those three tiny lineages as independent taxonomic units I think it more likely that taxonomists will delimit taxa as seems most appropriate and then apply whichever names are mandated by the ICZN in light of this decision, even if these are not the traditional names.

      In this case I don't think there was any good solution. Even had the commission approved our proposal, this still would not have solved the additional problem of Dialictus having precedence over Evylaeus, even though the Europeans always use the latter when referring to the clade comprising both.

      John