Maryland Job Opportunity for Bee Work

  • Frye, Jennifer
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2008

      Hi everyone,

      Sam said it would be ok for me to post this job on the list serve.  I have pasted it below and also included it as an attachment.  People with experience collecting, identifying and of course, blow-drying bees are encouraged to apply (salad spinners ok, too).  Please feel free to pass this on to others you think may be interested, and feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need additional information.  Thanks!

      Jen Frye

      Invertebrate Ecologist

      Maryland Natural Heritage Program

      Natural Resources Technician III

      Seasonal/Contractual No Benefits

      SALARY: $13.00/ hour

      CLOSING DATE: March 31, 2008

      CONTRACT PERIOD: April 2-October 2, 2008 (some flexibility in start-end dates)

      JOB DESCRIPTION: The Maryland Department of Natural Resources seeks a highly motivated individual to help conduct invertebrate surveys on state lands in the Lower Coastal Plain (Maryland’s Eastern ShoreWorcester and Wicomico Counties).  The project will involve a combination of survey techniques designed primarily to capture ants and bees.  Surveys for known rare, threatened and endangered invertebrates will also be a primary focus of the study.  Duties will include conducting surveys, specimen processing, and data entry.  Long field days will often be necessary and occasional weekend work may be required.  Training will be provided, as needed, on species identification, ecology and general distribution; survey and sampling techniques; and specimen processing.

      MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: B.S. in biological science, wildlife ecology, entomology, natural resources management, ecology, conservation biology or related field.  Course work in entomology preferred.  Additional experience performing technical biological work in the above-named fields may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis.

      PREFERENCES:  While biological work experience may be substituted for the education requirements on a year-for-year basis, possession of a bachelor's degree in a biological science from an accredited college or university is strongly preferred.  Preference will be also be given to applicants with strong field biology skills and the ability to identify eastern bees.  Experience using ArcView, Excel, and hand-held GPS units helpful.

      SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: A strong work ethic and the ability to work independently, as well as in small groups.  A valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle are required.

      APPLICATION: Mail or e-mail resume; names, phone numbers, and e-mail address (if possible) for 3 references; a cover letter explaining why you are the best candidate for this position; and a Maryland State Employment Application (available at http://www.dnr.state.md.us/insidednr/humanresources/hiring.asp) to:

      Jennifer Frye, Invertebrate Ecologist

      Maryland Dept. Natural Resources, Natural Heritage Program

      Tawes State Office Bldg. E-1

      580 Taylor Ave.

      Annapolis, MD 21401

      PH:      (410) 260-8579 or (410) 827-8612 x101

      FAX:    (410) 260-8596

      E-Mail: jfrye@...