Re: [beemonitoring] RE: bee boxes

  • David_r_smith@fws.gov
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 19, 2012

      sumac (Rhus sp) works too as a twig substrate for nests
    • Walters, Denise
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 19, 2012

        We put in bee boxes several years ago and have found nothing in them but ants.  Any suggestions?

        Denise L. Walters, Ph.D.

        Principal Scientist

        Analytical Development,Global R&D

        Pfizer Consumer Healthcare

        P.O. Box 26609, Richmond VA 23261

        804-257-2828, fax 804-257-2840

        denise.walters@...

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 19, 2012
          Denise,
          Mount your boxes on stakes or even better contained within a shelter box attached to stakes, and tanglefoot the stakes above the vegetation line to keep the ants from coming up. Here's a page with the shelter but just imagine different size condos in the shelter box instead of the large, agricultural application system which I call "barns".
          Gord

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 19, 2012
            I find Tanglefoot works reasonably well to keep Crematogaster and Solenopsi out of bee and wasp domiciles. They are the main problem ants in my area, the former occupies and destroys all other nests in a domicile while the latter just raids.  At least in Texas you have to keep applying Tanglefoot as it crusts over, getting coated with dust and debris, and isn't much of a barrier after a while.  As a bonus, some Chelostomoides will collect the gunk to construct their nests.  One probably needs a mix of pithy stems and cavities to maximize the diversity of trap-nesters.  Many Megachile ignore pithy stems, at least if there is no initial boring, and other megachilids, like Hoplitis producta, insist on chewing their own burrows in pithy stems and ignore pre-existing cavities.

            best

            Jack

            John L. Neff Central Texas Melittological Institute 7307 Running Rope Austin,TX 78731 USA 512-345-7219

[...]

          • Jay Warner at AT_T
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 20, 2012
              Yup, Tanglefoot works very nicely in Wisconsin, too.  And it still gets dust covered & ineffective after a time.
              Jay
              On Jan 19, 2012, at 2:58:16 PM, Jack Neff wrote:

[...]

              Jay Warner
              Principal Scientist
              Warner Consulting, Inc.
              4444 North Green Bay Road
              Racine, WI 53404-1216
              USA

              Ph:       262.634.9100
              email:  quality@...
              web:    www.a2q.com

              The A2Q Method (tm) -- What do you want to improve today?

              visitor on my deck.

            • J. Scott MacIvor
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 28, 2012
                Hi All,

                I am in the middle of sorting and analyzing the contents of 200 nestboxes (PVC, 30 cardboard tubes, 3 widths) set out all over the city of Toronto in over 90 private gardens, 30 green and conventional roofs, and many community gardens and parks from April to October 2011. This was the first of a planned four year partnership with many homeowners, gardeners, community groups and the city conservation authority as the principle sampling strategy in my PhD.

                We set up, collect, and analyze the contents, then return the boxes to the same location each year. Every participant is given a .pdf of information on the bee and wasp species provisioned in their nestbox, their abundance, parasites, what they collect, and how to support their forage and nesting requirements.

                There is a website that is slowly coming together for the project (www.TObee.ca), QR codes on every box, and I've had the opportunity to give 10 talks about the project to all kinds of groups in and around the city in the last 8 months. Many participants have gone above and beyond their hosting duties and annual questionnaire to provide photographs and updates through out the year on activity around the nestbox.

                Paul: Please feel free to contact me directly for photos, and a costing sheet I created for the nestbox design I build and use. A problem for most (not for my experimental design) is that when using cardboard or paper tubes one cannot visibly examine brood cells during the season - everything is analyzed at the end of the field season. This may hamper outreach activities, but having pinned specimens on hand, photographs of brood cells, and/or different nestbox designs on hand greatly enrich the experience for bee enthusiasts of all ages.

                Take care,

                Scott

                On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 3:58 PM, Jack Neff <jlnatctmi@...> wrote:

[...]

                J. Scott MacIvor