Re: [beemonitoring] microscope digital display devices

  • David Inouye
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11, 2008
      I've used a small digital camera with macro capability to take photographs through the eyepiece of a dissecting scope. I didn't try it, but that camera also had a connection I could have used to hook it up to a monitor.  Maybe your new digital camera has the same capabilities, and you could jury rig a mount to an eyepiece.

      David Inouye

      At 10:50 AM 2/11/2008, you wrote:

      All:

      In the last bee identification workshop Rob Jean and I hosted it became clear that it would be very useful to have a means of displaying images on a screen or computer from a compound microscope.  With such a device we can give lectures on the fine details of pulling genitalia and difficult to see characters.  Additionally, it would allow me to host identification workshops via conference calls and the Web-X software we have.

      If any of you have any suggestions in terms of equipment to get or not to get please drop me a line directly at:  sdroege@....  I will then summarize what was said and post it back to the group for reference.

      (Thanks Marie and Deana for getting this conversation going.)

      sam

      Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...
    • Dan Kjar
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 11, 2008
        I have been using this for a while now and it is very good for just
        quick and easy photos (not automontage).

        http://www.madelltech.com/DCM130Camera.html

        We picked it up for 150 dollars and it produces excellent pictures.

        It fits right into the ocular and has multiple attachments for
        differing ocular sizes. You remove the ocular to use it so there is
        no wobbly attachment issues.

        It runs on usb2.0 and obviously requires a computer.

        Dan Kjar