Re: [beemonitoring] Sampling Method for Emerging Ground-nesting Bees

  • Zak Gezon
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 5, 2012
    Hey all,

    I am planning on doing this next summer as well.  I am going to use some emergence traps that were originally designed for emerging aquatic insects (gifted to me by David Inouye, although they were originally built by Bobbi Peckarsky, I think).  They are pyramidal, made of wood, and have fine mesh all around.  They have a hole at the top for a kill jar.  I have never done this before, but am hoping the technique will work.  I would appreciate any advice people have, and I will make sure to keep people updated to let the bee folks know if the technique works.

    Thanks, and Happy New Year,

    Zak

    On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 7:01 PM, bugguy89 <bugguy89@...> wrote:

    Hi Folks,

    Does anyone know of a reliable way to capture bees as they emerge from an area of substrate? I'm considering a sort of modified malaise trap, but I'd appreciate any suggestions.

    Doug Sponsler
    Department of Entomology
    The Ohio State University
    sponsler.18@...

    --
    Zak Gezon
    PhD Student, Dartmouth College

  • Jessica Forrest
    Message 2 of 8 , Jan 6, 2012
      Some in our lab (Neal Williams, UC Davis) and Claire Kremen's lab at Berkeley have used modified "BugDorms" for this purpose. You can buy the model without a base panel for ~$40 from BioQuip. This is probably a lot more expensive than building it yourself, but it is convenient. Of course, you still have to modify it to include a malaise-trap-type attachment for collecting the insects.

      Jessica
      _______________________
      Jessica Forrest
      NSERC Postdoctoral Fellow
      Department of Entomology
      University of California, Davis
      http://individual.utoronto.ca/jforrest

      Message 3 of 8 , Jan 6, 2012
        Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
        Caveats: NONE

        Also from these labs: floating row cover. I want to try this, how does it work really?

        Kim J, Williams N, Kremen C (2006) Effects of cultivation and proximity to natural habitat on ground-nesting native bees in California sunflower fields. Journal of the Kansas Entomological Society:309-320

        --
        Wes Messinger
        Botanist, USACE Willamette Valley Projects

      • karen@sevilleta.unm.edu
        Message 4 of 8 , Jan 9, 2012
          I used home-made emergence traps over a Centris aggregation. I used
          hardware cloth folded into a cone with a 1m area and a 1 inch hole at the
          top. I covered this cone with weed cloth and used garden stakes to hold
          the whole thing down. Then used clearish plastic paint cups over the cone
          with bailing wire to hold the whole thing together. All supplies from
          home depot. These lasted a year and a half and I collected Centris,
          Diadasia, Agapostemon, Mutilla, Ericrosis, and other insects. Good luck,
          Karen

          > Hi Folks,
          >
          > Does anyone know of a reliable way to capture bees as they emerge from an
          > area of substrate? I'm considering a sort of modified malaise trap, but
          > I'd appreciate any suggestions.
          >
          > Doug Sponsler
          > Department of Entomology
          > The Ohio State University
          > sponsler.18@...

        • Maria Van Dyke
          Message 5 of 8 , Jan 9, 2012
            Yes I have one that I used for my master's research and some other suggestions. It worked very well for me and my needs. It is a bit involved to explain so why don't you call me at 540-635-0041.

            Maria

            On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 7:01 PM, bugguy89 <bugguy89@...> wrote:

            Hi Folks,

            Does anyone know of a reliable way to capture bees as they emerge from an area of substrate? I'm considering a sort of modified malaise trap, but I'd appreciate any suggestions.

            Doug Sponsler
            Department of Entomology
            The Ohio State University
            sponsler.18@...

            --
            The Virginia Food System Council - virginiafoodsystemcouncil.org
            "Working to increase successful linkages between food producers and consumers at all income levels."

            Virginia Working Landscapes Group - vaworkinglandscapes.org
            Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute
            Front Royal, VA
          • Aviva Liebert
            Message 6 of 8 , Jan 9, 2012

              From: karen@... <karen@...>;