Sampling Method for Emerging Ground-nesting Bees

  • bugguy89
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 5, 2012
      Hi Folks,

      Does anyone know of a reliable way to capture bees as they emerge from an area of substrate? I'm considering a sort of modified malaise trap, but I'd appreciate any suggestions.

      Doug Sponsler
      Department of Entomology
      The Ohio State University
      sponsler.18@...
    • Doug Yanega
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 5, 2012
        A different Doug wrote:

        >Does anyone know of a reliable way to capture bees as they emerge
        >from an area of substrate? I'm considering a sort of modified
        >malaise trap, but I'd appreciate any suggestions.

        A free-standing opaque cone or square pyramid with a known basal area
        (e.g., 1 m diameter, or 1 m square), and a clear capture container at
        the top, would do the trick. However, I'm not aware of anything one
        can obtain pre-fabricated of this nature, even appropriate
        components, though I admittedly don't spend a lot of time at Home
        Depot or Lowe's; one way or the other, it would have to be home-made,
        even if some components were available. Simple designs don't always
        equate to simple projects.

        Peace,

      • Zak Gezon
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 5, 2012
        Hey all,

        I am planning on doing this next summer as well.  I am going to use some emergence traps that were originally designed for emerging aquatic insects (gifted to me by David Inouye, although they were originally built by Bobbi Peckarsky, I think).  They are pyramidal, made of wood, and have fine mesh all around.  They have a hole at the top for a kill jar.  I have never done this before, but am hoping the technique will work.  I would appreciate any advice people have, and I will make sure to keep people updated to let the bee folks know if the technique works.

        Thanks, and Happy New Year,

        Zak

        --
        Zak Gezon
        PhD Student, Dartmouth College

      • Jessica Forrest
        Message 4 of 8 , Jan 6, 2012
          Some in our lab (Neal Williams, UC Davis) and Claire Kremen's lab at Berkeley have used modified "BugDorms" for this purpose. You can buy the model without a base panel for ~$40 from BioQuip. This is probably a lot more expensive than building it yourself, but it is convenient. Of course, you still have to modify it to include a malaise-trap-type attachment for collecting the insects.

          Jessica
          _______________________
          Jessica Forrest
          NSERC Postdoctoral Fellow
          Department of Entomology
          University of California, Davis
          http://individual.utoronto.ca/jforrest

          Message 5 of 8 , Jan 6, 2012
            Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
            Caveats: NONE

            Also from these labs: floating row cover. I want to try this, how does it work really?

            Kim J, Williams N, Kremen C (2006) Effects of cultivation and proximity to natural habitat on ground-nesting native bees in California sunflower fields. Journal of the Kansas Entomological Society:309-320

            --
            Wes Messinger
            Botanist, USACE Willamette Valley Projects

          • karen@sevilleta.unm.edu
            Message 6 of 8 , Jan 9, 2012
              I used home-made emergence traps over a Centris aggregation. I used
              hardware cloth folded into a cone with a 1m area and a 1 inch hole at the
              top. I covered this cone with weed cloth and used garden stakes to hold
              the whole thing down. Then used clearish plastic paint cups over the cone
              with bailing wire to hold the whole thing together. All supplies from
              home depot. These lasted a year and a half and I collected Centris,
              Diadasia, Agapostemon, Mutilla, Ericrosis, and other insects. Good luck,
              Karen

              > Hi Folks,
              >
              > Does anyone know of a reliable way to capture bees as they emerge from an
              > area of substrate? I'm considering a sort of modified malaise trap, but
              > I'd appreciate any suggestions.
              >
              > Doug Sponsler
              > Department of Entomology
              > The Ohio State University
              > sponsler.18@...

            • Maria Van Dyke
              Message 7 of 8 , Jan 9, 2012
                Yes I have one that I used for my master's research and some other suggestions. It worked very well for me and my needs. It is a bit involved to explain so why don't you call me at 540-635-0041.

                Maria

                On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 7:01 PM, bugguy89 <bugguy89@...> wrote:

                Hi Folks,

                Does anyone know of a reliable way to capture bees as they emerge from an area of substrate? I'm considering a sort of modified malaise trap, but I'd appreciate any suggestions.

                Doug Sponsler
                Department of Entomology
                The Ohio State University
                sponsler.18@...

                --
                The Virginia Food System Council - virginiafoodsystemcouncil.org
                "Working to increase successful linkages between food producers and consumers at all income levels."

                Virginia Working Landscapes Group - vaworkinglandscapes.org
                Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute
                Front Royal, VA
              • Aviva Liebert
                Message 8 of 8 , Jan 9, 2012

                  From: karen@... <karen@...>;