An exercise to identify past and future needs for bee status information in TX, AZ, NM, OK

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2012
    All:

    Happy New Year everyone.

    Over the holidays a group of us have been compiling information on past and current collecting activities and collections of native bees in the U.S. states of Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Arizona.  This region houses the greatest biodiversity of bees north of Mexico and, ironically, is the least known faunistically with many undescribed species.

    The objective here is simple...document what has been done in the past and what needs to be done in the future to best serve native bee conservation and help the many federal, state, and private conservation groups along with the regional academics and their graduate students target areas to survey that are blanks in our understanding of species and habitats.  The bird people did this about 100 years ago in the region... we are only just starting now.

    Below is a list of targeted areas that have been mentioned as possibilities....any additions would be welcome.  Attached is a file that documents what we currently know about past and current bee collection activities.  Any information about projects, collections and modifications to the same  would be very welcome.

    StateRegion
    AZSonoran Desert around Tucson
    AZLower Colorado River
    AZ-CA4 LCR refuges
    TXBig Bend
    TXEl Paso Area
    NM, TXGuadelupe Mountains
    NMNorthern New Mexico
    AZMogillon Rim
    AZSky Islands
    AZ, NMGypsum Dunes
    NM, TX, OKShinnery Oak, Staked Plains, Playas
    TXPalo Duro Canyon
    TXPanhandle
    TXHigh Plains
    TXPineywoods
    TXCross Timbers
    TXCoastal Prairies
    TXNorthern and Western Margins of the Edward's Plateau
    TXOriginal Blacklands Prairies
    TXStaked and High Plains
    OKOuchita Mtns
    OKPanhandle

    You ask what place I like the best,
    The sand hills, O the old sand hills;
    The place Kinkaiders make their home,
    And prairie chickens freely roam.
         -From the Song The Kinkaiders
  • Peter Kwapong
    Message 2 of 2 , Jan 10, 2012
    Dear Sam and All,
    Please find attached a free pdf copy of our Manual on Stingless bee keeping in Ghana for those interested.
    Hope you find it useful.
    Best.
    Peter

    Dr. Peter K. Kwapong, Department of Entomology & Wildlife - International Stingless Bee Centre (ISBC), School of Biological Sciences, University of Cape Coast, Cape Coast. GHANA. Office Tel. +233 3321 31191 Home Tel. +233 3321 30102 Cell. +233 20 9764697, Fax +233 3321 35323. www.ucc.edu.gh