New species of Osmia from Florida

  • Molly Rightmyer
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 13, 2011

      Hi all,

      Sam suggested that the members of this listserve might be interested to see the following paper describing a new species of Osmia (Megachilidae) from Florida.  It can be downloaded for free from the Zookeys website.

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 13, 2011

        This is a very lovely paper.

        Its nice in that it demonstrates a combination of old fashioned natural history-boots-on-the-ground, good taxonomy, a thorough search of the history along with associated collections and consultations with workers in the field.

        This discovery also points out that there is much to be learned about the bee world, even in the "well-studied" East.  Furthermore this paper immediately calls attention to both a landscape that is endangered (the Lake Wales Ridge of Florida) and very specific components within that landscape that were not necessarily on the radar screen prior to this compilation (an obscure nectar plant as well as a residual and not very sexy looking habitat).  It also points out an immediate need for additional information (what is the current status of these species? .... How do we manage these plants and environments to secure what are obviously rare and vulnerable species?).

        So it goes, and I am encouraged by how much more information on bee conservation, taxonomy, surveys, and general interest there is these days.

        Good work all.

        To Carelessness

        You led me to sling my rifle
        Over my shoulder when its bayonet was fixed
        On Leyte, in the jungle. It hit a hornets' nest
        And I fell down
        Screaming. The hornets attacked me, and Lonnie,
        The corporal, said "Soldier get off your ass!"
        Later the same day, I stepped on a booby trap
        That was badly wired. You
        Had been there too.
        Thank you. It didn't explode.

                - Kenneth Koch

        From:Molly Rightmyer <molly_rightmyer@...>
        To:"beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com" <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
        Date:12/13/2011 01:55 PM
        Subject:[beemonitoring] New species of Osmia from Florida
        Sent by:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

        Hi all,

        Sam suggested that the members of this listserve might be interested to see the following paper describing a new species of Osmia (Megachilidae) from Florida.  It can be downloaded for free from the Zookeys website.

        http://www.pensoft.net/journals/zookeys/article/1497/abstract/osmia-species-hymenoptera-megachilidae-from-the-southeastern-united-states-with-modified-facial-hairs-taxonomy-host-plan, doi: 10.3897/zookeys.148.1497.

        best wishes,
        Molly