An introduction of Orchard Bee Association and a collaboration request

  • Dave Hunter
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 13, 2011

      Last week in California, a team of independent businesses, orchard managers, and members of both science and academia officially formed a professional organization called Orchard Bee Association (OBA).  Once legally formed, it will be a non-profit association.

      The purpose of this association is to accelerate the production and use of orchard mason bees in various spring crops and orchards.  We will initially focus on Osmia lignaria, O. cornifrons, O. cornuta, and O. rufa.

      This new association is a result of a successful technology transfer originating from Almond Board Funded 2009 and 2010 Blue Orchard Bee Workshops held in California that were organized and delivered by USDA-ARS Bee Biology and Systematic Laboratory scientists Jim Cane, Theresa Pitts-Singer, and Derek Artz under the direction of Research Leader Rosalind James with the collaboration of Carolyn Pickel and Sara Goldman-Smith of University of California Extension.  They and their technical teams have been unbelievably helpful with providing great advice, sound research, and thoughtful proposals.  We will continue to support their efforts in any capacity.

      Over the next year, we will have both an internal and external web presence to assist and promote international collaboration.

      ·         The external site will be educationally driven to set standards, methodology, and a list of papers/studies that have been established or published.  We intend this website to benefit orchard managers, pollinators, and orchard bee producers.

      ·         The internal website will be more collaborative “doing & investigation,” such as active studies, links to researchers on active grants/studies, possible forums, and OBA contacts.

      A collaboration request:

      Derek Artz (derek.artz@...) is OBA’s science liaison and is part of the executive team.  His role is to assist with international science collaboration.  There are many active studies using solitary bees in orchards.  We would like to ensure that research isn’t duplicated and, if possible, suggest useful guidance to promote beneficial results to accelerate the use of managed solitary bees in orchards.

      If you or your team is conducting research on any of the above mentioned bees, could you please email Derek with a light overview/abstract?

      If you have any questions about OBA, please contact me directly.

      Again, OBA is very grateful to the science teams that have brought us to this point in providing alternate bees for commercial pollination.  We look forward to increasing our understanding of these wonderful pollinators with continued research and collaborative studies.

      Dave Hunter

      President

      Orchard Bee Association

    • Doug Yanega
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 13, 2011
        Re: [beemonitoring] An introduction of Orchard Bee Associa
        Dave Hunter wrote:

        Last week in California, a team of independent businesses, orchard managers, and members of both science and academia officially formed a professional organization called Orchard Bee Association (OBA).  Once legally formed, it will be a non-profit association.

        The purpose of this association is to accelerate the production and use of orchard mason bees in various spring crops and orchards.  We will initially focus on Osmia lignaria, O. cornifrons, O. cornuta, and O. rufa.

        I admit to being out of the loop on Osmia work, so forgive me if this is naive, but the first obvious question I have is this: given that three of the four species listed above are non-native, has it been adequately demonstrated to everyone's satisfaction that the introduction of these exotic bees will have no potentially disruptive effects on the numerous native Californian Osmia species?

        Sincerely,
        --

        Doug Yanega        Dept. of Entomology         Entomology Research Museum
        Univ. of California, Riverside, CA 92521-0314        skype: dyanega
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 13, 2011
          And this detriment could include diseases and other natural enemies of native bees that could have large negative effects.  Many believe Bombus declines to at least be partly due to exotic diseases being carried around.

          cheers

          laurence

          The canadian government has withdrawn from the Kyoto protocol. This is just the latest of a series of environmentally irresponsible decisions made by the Harper dictatorship. I guess it was to be expected from a group whose power base is in the tar sands. Please accept my apologies for being part of a country whose economy is too heavily reliant on activities that are causing global environmental degradation.

          laurence

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 13, 2011

            Doug, that’s a great question that I should have answered in the first email.

            I admit to being out of the loop on Osmia work, so forgive me if this is naive, but the first obvious question I have is this: given that three of the four species listed above are non-native, has it been adequately demonstrated to everyone's satisfaction that the introduction of these exotic bees will have no potentially disruptive effects on the numerous native Californian Osmia species?

            In our preliminary meeting last year, OBA specifically determined that only O. lignaria propinqua would be used in the west coast of the US orchards.  O. lignaria lignaria (native eastern states) and O. cornifrons (naturalized in most eastern US states) will be used in eastern orchards.

            We believe research of these four species may be similar as they are all spring emerging bees.  No bees will be used outside their native or naturalized environment.

            We already have several European members that use the O. cornuta and O. rufa.  We’re looking to collaborate efforts across the waters.

            Dave Hunter

            O. 425.949.7954

            C. 206.851.1263

            www.crownbees.com

             Click below to hear the buzz!

          • Doug Yanega
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 14, 2011
              Dave Hunter wrote:

              In our preliminary meeting last year, OBA specifically determined that only O. lignaria propinqua would be used in the west coast of the US orchards.  O. lignaria lignaria (native eastern states) and O. cornifrons (naturalized in m! ost eastern US states) will be used in eastern orchards.

              We believe research of these four species may be similar as they are all spring emerging bees.  No bees will be used outside their native or naturalized environment.

              We already have several European members that use the O. cornuta and O. rufa.  We're looking to collaborate efforts across the waters.

              That's very reassuring - the way the original posting was phrased, this was certainly not at all clear. It does raise one additional question, which the folks in Logan might also comment on:

              Are there attempts completed, underway, or planned, to perform any sort of systematic assessment of other native Osmia (especially in the western states) for potential commercial use as pollinators? With so many species, it's hard to imagine that *only* lignaria is a viable candidate, at least biologically - but I also realize that the investment of time and energy into performing assessment may make it seem more appealing to focus on customizing the "technology" a single species if only limited resources are available.

              Is that the case here?

              Peace,
              --

              Doug Yanega        Dept. of Entomology         Entomology Research Museum
              Univ. of California, Riverside, CA 92521-0314        skype: dyanega
            • Cane, Jim
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 14, 2011

                Doug and others- I have been learning biologies, evaluating pollination values, figuring out nesting needs and practical affordable to supply these, and multiplying several Osmia species here.  These are: 1) Osmia aglaia for raspberry/blackberry pollination along its range west of the Cascades and Sierra Nevada Mtns in Oregon and Washington, 2) Osmia bruneri (closely similar bee) for this purpose and for native legumes for seed production in its range of the Intermountain West and Rockies, and 3) Osmia sanrafaelae for the latter purpose in the eastern Intermountain West where I have encountered it.  My many tries with Osmia ribifloris for blueberry pollination have been thrwarted by this bees’ insistence on pre-nesting dispersal (in a large screenhouse, it settles down and does nicely).  The task becomes most challenging once numbers are large (we’ve had as many as 20,000 of two of the species in management) because we have to work with them far away where at most I only have control over release.  In springs with atypical weather, like the last one, our population was greatly diminished because we were already committed to shipping, incubation and release dates.  And it gets expensive, with shipping charges alone of $500+.  At times I really do wonder if it is worth all of my bother, although it has been a good learning experience.

                Yours

                jim

                ===============================

                James H. Cane

                Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

                tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

                email: Jim.Cane@...

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 14, 2011

                  Oops, a corrections in my last email.  For Osmia aglaia, that is Oregon and California, not “Oregon and Washington”.  Washington would be nice, as a lot of Rubus are grown there, but the Osmia aglaia has not been collected there.

                  Yours,

                  jim

                  ===============================

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 15, 2011
                    Hi,

                    I've heard it stated that bees are the most important group of pollinators. Can anyone suggest published studies comparing bees with other groups of pollinators in terms of efficiency, number of plant species pollinated, or other measures, and how this might vary geographically (maybe patterns related to latitude or altitude)?

                    Thanks!
                    Ken

                    Kenneth W. McCravy, Ph.D.
                    Professor
                    Department of Biological Sciences
                    Western Illinois University
                    1 University Circle
                    Macomb, IL 61455
                    Phone: (309) 298-2160
                    Fax: (309) 298-2270
                    Email: KW-McCravy@...
                  • Robert Jean
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 15, 2011
                      Ken,
                      The following is a good paper on pollinator efficiency; however it shows the generalist flies to be as effective as the specialist Andrena erigeniae on flowers of Claytonia virginica (Spring beauty). Motten, A. F., D. R. Campbell, et al. (1981). "Pollination effectiveness of specialist and generalist visitors to a North Carolina population of Claytonia virginica." Ecology 62(5): 1278-1287. No info on geographic variation here though
                      Rob Jean

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 15, 2011

                      I have attached a couple of review articles on the importance of dipteran pollinators.  These have references to some comparisons between bees and flies.  Hopefully you will be able to open them – if not, let me know and I’ll send the references.

                      Kim Stoner

                      Message 11 of 11 , Dec 15, 2011

                        Bob, Ken and others- I agree, that is a splendid study, a great one for teaching and discussion.  Something that most folks overlook in that paper, however, but Motten reports, is that the specialist bee deposits more pollen than the fly when either is coming from a pistillate flower (that is, pollen carryover is great with the specialist).  It is a nice nuance, I think.

                        At the community level (or sometimes even at the level of a floral guild), the challenge becomes demonstrating that a species 9and sex sometimes) of floral visitor indeed pollinates (even more work to quantify), a very daunting task if you have many plant species in a local community.  Jordi Bosch and colleagues in Barcelona Spain are gradually working up such a data set, but it is taking many field seasons to assemble.

                        yours

                        jim