Re: [beemonitoring] bee kleptoparasites

  • Jack Neff
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 13, 2011
      One has to be a bit careful with the term "kleptoparasite".  Bombyliids, mutillids, conopids and the chalcidoids (among others) don't really qualify since they only consume the host (usually as a mature larva), not the provisions.  I prefer the term cuckoo bee for "parasitic" bees since they don't literally steal provisions.  Of course, that ignores things like chrysids who are non-bees behaving essentially as cuckoo bees.

      Jack