Re: [beemonitoring] bee kleptoparasites

  • Doug Yanega
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 13, 2011
      >I know some of the more well known kleptoparasite taxa like
      >Chrysididae, Nomadinae, Sphecodes, etc., but does anyone know of any
      >exhaustive lists of bee kleptoparasite taxa?

      Once you get outside of bees, the list of parasites (klepto or
      otherwise) is not terribly long; a very few chrysidids (most attack
      sphecoids or vespoids), a number of bombyliids, some sapygids, some
      mutillids, a few meloids, and then a smattering of endoparasites like
      phorids, ripiphorids, and conopids, along with a tiny number of
      chalcidoids (e.g., leucospids, Melittobia) and gasteruptiids. Not an
      awful lot beyond that. If it weren't for the things that attack
      Megachilids, the list would be a lot shorter. ;-)

      Peace,

    • Jack Neff
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 13, 2011
        One has to be a bit careful with the term "kleptoparasite".  Bombyliids, mutillids, conopids and the chalcidoids (among others) don't really qualify since they only consume the host (usually as a mature larva), not the provisions.  I prefer the term cuckoo bee for "parasitic" bees since they don't literally steal provisions.  Of course, that ignores things like chrysids who are non-bees behaving essentially as cuckoo bees.

        Jack