Re: Can You Explain this Behavior?

  • Suzanne Koptur
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 27, 2011
      Many poplars have extrafloral nectaries, glands at the base of the blade, and it could be the bees are collecting this nectar! Many plants have nectaries of this type, and in most cases they attract beneficial insects for plant protection, such as ants, wasps, and other predator arthropods. Extrafloral nectaries often make more nectar in sunny, warm situations. Could it be this?
      Suzanne
      --

      Suzanne Koptur, PhD
      Professor of Biological Sciences
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 27, 2011
        It is true they collect resin from the buds, but I think they were mostly collecting fungus.

        Also i found out that the fungus is Melampsora, and bees sometimes collect it and bring it back to their nests. It is thought to add nutrients or to make up for the lack of flowers. Fungus apparently has a high percentage of amino acids.

        I googled and found this:

        The fungus seems to be a common occurrence this time of year.
        Best Regards,
        Sharon Muczynski LEED® AP
        Graduate Student in Conservation Ecology

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 28, 2011
          Dear Ms. Muczynski:

          Oh yes, pollinating insects do spread fungal spores.  Some spores are believed to mimic pollen grains (e.g. teliomycete stage in rusts) while others produce an infection that resembles a flower and sdecretes a nectar-like exudate containing a specialized spore (spermatia). It is such a successful case of deceit in nature that we know of one case where evolution "flip-flopped" and an orchid flower "pretends" to be an infected-rotting leaf to attract flies.  Google my name and Cypripedium fargessi.

          The big question is, have you had the fungus identified?  Dr Peter Kevan <peponapis@...> can tell you a lot about the fungus that attacts commercial blueberries and is spread by insects.

          Sincerely, Peter Bernhardt

          On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 4:22 PM, Sharon Muczynski <muczynski.sharon@...> wrote:

          It is true they collect resin from the buds, but I think they were mostly collecting fungus.

          Also i found out that the fungus is Melampsora, and bees sometimes collect it and bring it back to their nests. It is thought to add nutrients or to make up for the lack of flowers. Fungus apparently has a high percentage of amino acids.

          I googled and found this:

          The fungus seems to be a common occurrence this time of year.
          Best Regards,
          Sharon Muczynski LEED® AP
          Graduate Student in Conservation Ecology

        • pollinator2001
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 28, 2011
            --- In beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com, Peter Bernhardt <bernhap2@...> wrote:

            > Dear Ms. Muczynski:
            >
            > Oh yes, pollinating insects do spread fungal spores.

            One thing not mentioned so far is that these are unlikely to be wild, but probably a bee farmer's livestock and the source of his livelihood.

            Dave