New URL for The Bees of Florida website

  • Hall, H Glenn
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 21, 2011

      “The Bees of Florida” website is now online again with the following URL:  http://entnemdept.ifas.ufl.edu/HallG/Melitto/Intro.htm. Dr. John Pascarella, who created and built the website, recently moved from Georgia Southern University to take an Associate Dean position at Kansas State University.  Suspecting that his new position would be demanding, I offered to take over management of the website, and he accepted.

      On the website, links have been repaired that were broken as a result of a previous move.  Over time I expect to update information:  incorporating revisions in taxa names and keys, adding new records and photos, etc.  As Dr. Pascarella has done in the past, I intend to make photographs and other information available for use on other insect/bee identification websites, such as Discover Life.  I very much welcome comments or suggestions that members of the melittophilic community may have.

      Dr. Pascarella was one of the pioneers to construct this type of insect identification website, and, so far as I know, the first devoted to bees.  “The Bees of Florida” is the product of a huge effort that currently consists of 140 htm files, about 8,000 labeled photos, about 260 Florida maps and an equal number of thumbnails for each.  Although the focus is on Florida bees, the range of many species extends far beyond.  Thus, this website has been a valuable resource for people outside the state, but, of course, particularly so for me and others interested in the Florida bee fauna.  I am grateful that John is willing to have his prized accomplishment placed in the care of someone else, so that it will remain available.

      H. Glenn Hall

      Department of Entomology and Nematology

      University of Florida

      Gainesville, FL 32611