Recent articles - Florida bee surveys

  • Hall, H Glenn
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 21, 2011

      Below are the titles and links to PDF files of our articles, one just published and another published a year ago, on our bee surveys in north-central Florida:

      Hall, H.G., Ascher, J.S.  2011. Surveys of wild bees (Hymenoptera: Apoidea: Anthophila) in

      organic farms of Alachua County in north-central Florida.  The Florida Entomologist 94:539-552.

      Link to the PDF file (no cost) on the journal website: http://journals.fcla.edu/flaent/article/view/76553/74169

                  Link to extra online information (colored photos) that is not yet available:

                  http://www.fcla.edu/FlaEnt/fe943.htm#InfoLink3

      Hall, H.G., Ascher, J.S.  2010.  Surveys of bees (Hymenoptera: Apoidea: Anthophila) in

      natural areas of Alachua County in north-central Florida.  The Florida Entomologist 93: 609-629.

                  Link to the PDF file (no cost) on the journal website: http://journals.fcla.edu/flaent/article/view/76165/73823

      H. Glenn Hall - University of Florida

      John S. Ascher - American Museum of Natural History, New York

    • david almquist
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 21, 2011
        These are great and I'd love to see more surveys like these.

        To anyone who might want to survey for bees, or any invertebrates, in FL we have a free Google Earth file here
        http://www.fnai.org/gisdata.cfm
        (direct link to the file here ftp://fnai5.fnai.fsu.edu/Web_Data/GE_Data/Florida_Forever_BOT_Projects_Oct2011.kmz )
        that has pretty much every park, forest, other managed areas, etc in FL with manager contact info and usually habitat information.  We also have a database full of information related to this, such as habitat maps and rare plant and animal occurrences, so, for instance, if someone wanted to find a managed area with sandhill habitat in the Panhandle, you should be able to find that and to get contact info, boundaries, etc.  Also, if anyone needs contact information for permits for any natural area in FL, please feel free to email me and I should be able to help.

        Our updated natural community guide is also available here
        http://www.fnai.org/naturalcommguide.cfm
        for free and this should be of use to anyone trying to figure out anything about FL plant communities.

        Hope this is useful to people.

        Dave

        David T Almquist

        Invertebrate Zoologist