Re: [beemonitoring] request for specimens

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 17 9:49 AM
      Dear Dr. Packer:

      Yes, our lab has Lasioglossum specimens but they may be unsuitable for DNA barcoding.  We kill with ethyl acetate not ethanol or cyanide.  I was told years ago that such specimens were useless for barcoding.  Please clarify.

      Peter Bernahrdt

      On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Laurence Packer <laurencepacker@...> wrote:

      Greetings

      I am currently supervising an honours thesis student who is looking at Lasioglossum s,str. in North America and we are wondering whether anyone might have specimens of any of the following species that they might be willing to let us remove a leg from (perhaps even keep the specimen, but that's less important than actually removing a leg).  This is for DNA barcoding and possible a nuclear gene sequence or two.  Anything that has been kept in 90+% ethanol since soon after death, or that has been pinned and kept in a dry museum or university lab-like environment should work just fine.

      Please advise if you might have any of these.

      many thahks

      laurence
      aequatum
      argutum
      bajaense
      bardum
      cercothrix
      channelense
      citerius
      crocoturum
      katyae
      lampronotum
      orphnaeum
      parkeri
      pharum
      rupticristum
      sandrae
      timberlakei
      tropidonotum
      uyacicola
      xyriotropis

    • Cory Sheffield
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 17 9:56 AM
        Hi all,

        We have managed to get full and partial sequences out of some specimens killed in ethyl acetate vapour...I suspect that these were not kept in the bottle too long.  Any recently collected material killed in ethyl acetate may be worth trying.

        Cheers,
        Cory

        --
        Cory S. Sheffield, PhD