Fw: NYTimes report on Lasioglossum gotham

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2011
      All

      It is not often that a sweat bee gets into the New York Times, but here is story about a new species minted by our friend Jason Gibbs.

      http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/10/bees/

      Note that there was a mixup in credits and that the picture of L. gotham coming out of the nest is by another of our friends Louise Lynch.

      Lessons from the Garden

      This morning little mushroom heads,
      like rusted dimes on toothpick stalks,
      sprang up in our flower box.
      An hour later they were dead,

      withered in the summer heat.
      Each spore stretched out its mortal coil
      through dried-up peat and city soil
      to die upon a slab of concrete.

      With mouthless moths and butterflies,
      the male flies free, no need for food,
      and mates to spawn a hungry brood
      then lives another hour and dies,

      unable even to watch its spawn
      chew my tomatoes to the ground.
      If they had mouths their song would sound
      pointless, pointless over the lawn.

      Inside, my daughter's forced to practice.
      Her fingers blunder down the keys,
      ignoring accidentals. She's
      thirteen, more prickly than a cactus.

      Outside the yard is newly mown—