cardboard tubes, various sizes and intro.

  • Michael Wilson
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 8 5:15 AM
      Hi,

      My name is Michael Wilson. I'm a graduate student at the University of
      Tennessee, Knoxville and am doing a study on native bees in our area,
      primarily at cucurbit plantings. I'm glad to have found this group and
      have enjoyed reviewing the material.

      Part of my project is to put out various size trap nests in different
      areas to asses 'stick nesting' bee presence. Ideally, I would like a
      wide variety of diameter of cardboard tubes from 2mm - 10mm to use as
      explained in Practical Pollination Biology. I have some reed inter
      nodes, but not as many as I would like. We also routed out some boards
      to stack, but only have 2 different sizes of router bits to choose
      from and have been unable to find more bit sizes.

      Question:
      Is there a reasonable place to buy a wide variety of cardboard tube
      diameters?

      The places I've seen on the internet either require bulk (very bulk)
      purchasing or only have the size for the Blue Orchard Bees. I may
      drill sticks and blocks or try and find some more reeds if I can't get
      a variety of tubes. Are there other options?

      Also, anyone know when putting out nests in my area, (East Tennessee)
      will be too late to get some species? I'm thinking as long as I have
      everything out by the end of February I'll be OK.

      Thanks,
      Michael Wilson
    • Rufus Isaacs
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 8 5:38 AM
        Michael,

        You mentioned only have two router bit sizes, and that's often what
        the hardware stores carry. We used www.routerbits.com as a source of
        various sized cove shape router bits for making our own nesting boxes.

        Good luck,

        Rufus Isaacs
      • Mark Kraemer
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 8 6:17 AM
          Michael,

          Can't help with the tubes but can say that the earlist bees in Central
          Virginia near Petersburg (blue orchard bees and unknown species of
          Andrenid) have not emerged until March during the last 6 years. They
          usually emerge or are seen in mid-March. Overnight temperatures seem to
          need to hold above 9 degrees C for at least one night before BOBs
          emerge. Nest building starts the last week of March. We are probably
          in a slightly warmer winter climate than you. Thus, you should be OK
          with a late February set up.

          Best,
          Mark Kraemer, Ph.D.
          Research Entomologist
          Virginia State University
          Petersburg, VA

          >>> mwilso14@... 2/8/2008 8:15 AM >>>
[...]

        • Jack Neff
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 8 7:36 AM
            Michael: You probably won't be able to get the range
            of straws you mention (2-10 mm) without spending some
            serious coin as most sizes would have to be custom
            manufactured. For relatively small lots, an easy
            technique is simply using a handheld drill to bore
            single holes in pieces of pine molding cut to
            appropriate lengths. (see Krombein, 1967 "Trapnesting
            Wasps and Bees...." Parting strip works fine for the
            smallest sizes (2-4 mm), 3/4x3/4 for the intermediate
            sizes and 1x1 for the largest. Extra long drill bits
            are available in all but the smallest sizes. In the
            real world, a 12 cm, 8 mm nest is unlikely to be fully
            utilized so shorter holes are usually readily
            accepted. If of decent quality (no knots), the
            individual are easily split to inspect the nests, and
            unlike straws, can be opened and closed many times.
            This is also an advantage over routed nests although
            the latter are much cheaper on a per nest basis..

            best

            Jack Neff
            --- Michael Wilson <mwilso14@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > My name is Michael Wilson. I'm a graduate student at
            > the University of
            > Tennessee, Knoxville and am doing a study on native
            > bees in our area,
            > primarily at cucurbit plantings. I'm glad to have
            > found this group and
            > have enjoyed reviewing the material.
            >
            > Part of my project is to put out various size trap
            > nests in different
            > areas to asses 'stick nesting' bee presence.
            > Ideally, I would like a
            > wide variety of diameter of cardboard tubes from 2mm
            > - 10mm to use as
            > explained in Practical Pollination Biology. I have
            > some reed inter
            > nodes, but not as many as I would like. We also
            > routed out some boards
            > to stack, but only have 2 different sizes of router
            > bits to choose
            > from and have been unable to find more bit sizes.
            >
            > Question:
            > Is there a reasonable place to buy a wide variety of
            > cardboard tube
            > diameters?
            >
            > The places I've seen on the internet either require
            > bulk (very bulk)
            > purchasing or only have the size for the Blue
            > Orchard Bees. I may
            > drill sticks and blocks or try and find some more
            > reeds if I can't get
            > a variety of tubes. Are there other options?
            >
            > Also, anyone know when putting out nests in my area,
            > (East Tennessee)
            > will be too late to get some species? I'm thinking
            > as long as I have
            > everything out by the end of February I'll be OK.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Michael Wilson

            Be a better friend, newshound, and
          • Wilson, Michael E
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 11 4:51 AM
              Thanks to all for the for the numerous tips.
              With the extra router bits and drilling we will be in
              good shape. However, if I can just
              find a 5/16th router bit we will be even better.
              This looks to be very close to the 7.5mm recommended for
              Osmia lignaria. It would be nice to have that size for
              our routed boards, but no one online seems to carry a 5/16th.

              Thanks again,
              Michael Wilson

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 11 5:48 AM
                Found it!
                http://www.houseoftools.com/product.htm?pid=17287

                thanks to this website
                http://www.cvseeds.bc.ca/bees.htm

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 11 6:07 AM
                  Sorry, that bit is 5/16" radius, not diameter.

                  Has anyone had luck with a daddo blade on a table saw to make square holes?
                  The website I posted mentioned that. It would be an easy way to make a
                  variety of sized holes, except they would be square on 4 sides instead of just two.
                  Daddo blades come in stacks, so you could just remove blades in the stack to make it
                  smaller. I'll have to measure to see if mine can get close to 5/16".

                  Thanks,
                  Michael Wilson

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 11 6:17 AM
                    Michael:

                    If you are willing to spend about $100-$150.00, there are many companies that will custom make a router bits for your in any profile you like....just google "custom router bits" for a look see.

                    sam

                    Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

                    An ardent young golfer named Preen,
                    Swung his club at some bees on the green;
                    They slipped him sharp kisses,
                    Which he thought was exceedingly mean.

                    V. Tepedino

                    "Wilson, Michael E" <mwilso14@...>
                    Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                    02/11/2008 08:48 AM

                    Please respond to
                    beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

                    <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
                    cc
                    Subject
                    RE: [beemonitoring] cardboard tubes, various sizes and intro.

                    mwilso14@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > My name is Michael Wilson. I'm a graduate student at
                    > the University of
                    > Tennessee, Knoxville and am doing a study on native
                    > bees in our area,
                    > primarily at cucurbit plantings. I'm glad to have
                    > found this group and
                    > have enjoyed reviewing the material.
                    >
                    > Part of my project is to put out various size trap
                    > nests in different
                    > areas to asses 'stick nesting' bee presence.
                    > Ideally, I would like a
                    > wide variety of diameter of cardboard tubes from 2mm
                    > - 10mm to use as
                    > explained in Practical Pollination Biology. I have
                    > some reed inter
                    > nodes, but not as many as I would like. We also
                    > routed out some boards
                    > to stack, but only have 2 different sizes of router
                    > bits to choose
                    > from and have been unable to find more bit sizes.
                    >
                    > Question:
                    > Is there a reasonable place to buy a wide variety of
                    > cardboard tube
                    > diameters?
                    >
                    > The places I've seen on the internet either require
                    > bulk (very bulk)
                    > purchasing or only have the size for the Blue
                    > Orchard Bees. I may
                    > drill sticks and blocks or try and find some more
                    > reeds if I can't get
                    > a variety of tubes. Are there other options?
                    >
                    > Also, anyone know when putting out nests in my area,
                    > (East Tennessee)
                    > will be too late to get some species? I'm thinking
                    > as long as I have
                    > everything out by the end of February I'll be OK.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Michael Wilson

                    Be a better friend, newshound, and

                  • Malinda Slagle
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 16, 2008
                      Message
                      All-
                      I am trying to assign functional group categories to several bee species and am having trouble figuring out a good source for determining which bees are primitively eusocial, which are solitary, which are cavity nesters and which are ground nesters. I would appreciate some good, current references for these. If you don't know references but know midwestern bee species well and would be willing to look at my list and assign categories, please let me know and I will send you the list (it's only 49 species).
                      Thanks-
                      Malinda

                      Malinda W. Slagle
                      Restoration Ecologist
                      Litzsinger Road Ecology Center
                      Missouri Botanical Garden
                      9711 Litzsinger Rd
                      St Louis MO 63124
                      314-961-4410
                      malinda.slagle@...

                      To discover and share knowledge about plants and their environment, in order to preserve and enrich life.
                      -mission of the Missouri Botanical Garden