Trachandrena Female ID Spreadsheet Now Available for the Eastern U.S.

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 26, 2011
    Hi All:

    Attached is a file with detailed information about the 13 Andrena species in the subgenus Trachandrena.  We have found this group to be confusing, as while differences are apparent, they are similar enough that identification can get confusing when several identification characters have to be juggled at the same time and some are strictly comparative.   The attached Excel sheet is meant to help with this.

    Trachandrena are a group of very similar species characterized by deeply recessed facial fovea, the propodeal triangle reticulated with large cells defined by raised lines and the tip of the propodeal triangle bisected by a raised line or carina prior to its curve to the rear face of the propodeum.

    The Discoverlife system works reasonably well, but there is lot of detailed information that I think is more easily presented in the attached spreadsheet.  The spreadsheet rows and columns can be hidden using Excel's features and useful characters for individual species are highlighted in Yellow.  Ultimately we would add pictures to this spreadsheet and will be working on a similar guide to the males (which are even more tricky!).  A similar file is also attached for Melandrena males...which created earlier.

    If the file does not come though email me directly and I will send it again.

    Please send any additions, corrections, or suggestions.

    Txs

    sam

    Here is the list of species.
    Andrena ceanothi
    Andrena forbesii
    Andrena heraclei
    Andrena hippotes
    Andrena mariae
    Andrena miranda
    Andrena nuda
    Andrena quintilis
    Andrena rehni
    Andrena rugosa
    Andrena sigmundi
    Andrena spiraeana
    Andrena virginiana

    Happy insect!  what can be
    In happiness compared to thee?
    Fed with nourishment divine,
    They dewy morning's gentle wine,
    Nature waits upon thee still,
    And thy verdant cup does fill;
    'Tis filled wherever thou dost tread,
    Nature's self thy Ganymede
        -Cowley
    Message 2 of 2 , Oct 26, 2011

    Nature Study
    (for Rona, Jeremy, Sam & Grace)

    All the lizards are asleep--
    perched pagodas with tiny triangular tiles,
    each milky lid a steamed-up window.
    Inside, the heart repeats itself like a sleepy gong,
    summoning nothing to nothing.

    In winter time, the zoo reverts to metaphor,
    God's poetry of boredom:
    the cobra knits her Fair-Isle skin,
    rattlers titter over the same joke.
    All of them endlessly finish spaghetti.
    The python runs down like a spring,
    and time stops on some ancient Sabbath.

    Pythagorean bees are shut inside the hive,
    which hymns and hums like Sunday chapel--
    drowsy thoughts in a wrinkled brain.

    The fire's gone out--
    crocodiles lie like wet beams,
    cross-hatched by flames that no one can remember.
    Grasshoppers shiver, chafe their limbs
    and try to keep warm,
    crouching on their marks perpetually.
    The African cricket is trussed like a cold chicken:
    the sneeze of movement returns it to the same position,
    in the same body. There is no change.

    The rumple-headed lion has nowhere to go
    and snoozes in his grimy combinations.
    A chaise lounge with missing castors,
    the walrus is stuck forever on his rock.
    Sleepily, the seals play crib,
    scoring on their upper lips.
    The chimps kill fleas and time,
    sewing nothing to nothing

    Five o'clock--perhaps.
    Vultures in their shabby Sunday suits
    fidget with broken umbrellas,
    while the ape beats his breast
    and yodels out repentance.
    Their feet are an awful dream of bunions--

    but the buffalo's brazil nut bugle-horns
    can never sound reveille.

           - Craig Raine