RE: [beemonitoring] oaks and bee populations

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 23, 2011
      Thanks Jim:

      Interesting.  It seems to have the possible characteristics of a desperation food, but then again, it is not zero so barriers to its use must be somewhat low.

      Black Oaks

      Okay, not one can write a symphony, or a dictionary,

      or even a letter to an old friend, full of remembrance
      and comfort.

      Not one can manage a single sound though the blue jays
      carp and whistle all day in the branches, without
      the push of the wind.

      But to tell the truth after a while I'm pale with longing
      for their thick bodies ruckled with lichen

      and you can't keep me from the woods, from the tonnage

      of their shoulders, and their shining green hair.

      Today is a day like any other: twenty-four hours, a
      little sunshine, a little rain.

      Listen, says ambition, nervously shifting her weight from
      one boot to another -- why don't you get going?

      For there I am, in the mossy shadows, under the trees.

      And to tell the truth I don't want to let go of the wrists
      of idleness, I don't want to sell my life for money,

      I don't even want to come in out of the rain.

            - Mary Oliver

      From:"Cane, Jim" <Jim.Cane@...>
      To:Laurence Packer <laurencepacker@...>, "beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com" <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>, Sam Droege <sdroege@...>
      Cc:Johnny Stowe <StoweJ@...>
      Date:10/23/2011 01:44 PM
      Subject:RE: [beemonitoring] oaks and bee populations
      Sent by:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      Sam and others- I have seen, on occasional years, when frost eliminates blueberry bloom, or when bees continued to nest after bloom, that female Habropoda laboriosa will  collect and provision nest cells with oak pollen.  I do not know the fates of those progeny.  Dr. Michener (1956) reported a similar case for Andrena that normally use Erythronium in Kansas.  Inge Bischoff reports Colletes cunicularius to use oak pollen in Germany. Just out of curiosity, I exhaustively removed and counted pollen from a few individual catkins and found them to average about 1 million pollen grains each!  By that measure, 3 catkins has all the pollen for one Habopoda provision. Fowler (1899) reported early-on about another Habropoda using oak pollen.  And from my work with T’ai Roulston on protein contents (2000), oak pollen is near the top of the list for protein content among wind-pollinated plants (and superior to, for instance, sunflower).  These are examples that come to mind.  That O. rufa paper by Tony Raw that Laurence mentioned was the first to catch my attention on the topic.   I am certain that the average oak pollen grain does _not_ end up in a bee provision, however (although from the evidence, I do sometimes wonder why bees do not use it much more widely).

      Yours,

      jim

      James H. Cane

      USDA-ARS Pollinating Insect Research Lab

      Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

      tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

      email: Jim.Cane@...

      http://www.ars.usda.gov/npa/logan/beelab

      http://www.biology.usu.edu/people/facultyinfo.asp?username=jcane