Re: [beemonitoring] oaks and bee populations

  • Laurence Packer
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 22, 2011
      Osmia rufa uses oak pollen a lot in Europe.  Google scholaring the first three words in this email will yield several useful references to the phenomenon.

      cheers

      laurence

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 23, 2011

        Sam and others- I have seen, on occasional years, when frost eliminates blueberry bloom, or when bees continued to nest after bloom, that female Habropoda laboriosa will  collect and provision nest cells with oak pollen.  I do not know the fates of those progeny.  Dr. Michener (1956) reported a similar case for Andrena that normally use Erythronium in Kansas.  Inge Bischoff reports Colletes cunicularius to use oak pollen in Germany. Just out of curiosity, I exhaustively removed and counted pollen from a few individual catkins and found them to average about 1 million pollen grains each!  By that measure, 3 catkins has all the pollen for one Habopoda provision. Fowler (1899) reported early-on about another Habropoda using oak pollen.  And from my work with T’ai Roulston on protein contents (2000), oak pollen is near the top of the list for protein content among wind-pollinated plants (and superior to, for instance, sunflower).  These are examples that come to mind.  That O. rufa paper by Tony Raw that Laurence mentioned was the first to catch my attention on the topic.   I am certain that the average oak pollen grain does _not_ end up in a bee provision, however (although from the evidence, I do sometimes wonder why bees do not use it much more widely).

        Yours,

        jim

        ===============================

        James H. Cane

        USDA-ARS Pollinating Insect Research Lab

        Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

        tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

        email: Jim.Cane@...

        http://www.ars.usda.gov/npa/logan/beelab

        http://www.biology.usu.edu/people/facultyinfo.asp?username=jcane

        Gardening for Native Bees: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/plants-pollinators09.pdf

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 23, 2011
          Thanks Jim:

          Interesting.  It seems to have the possible characteristics of a desperation food, but then again, it is not zero so barriers to its use must be somewhat low.

          Black Oaks

          Okay, not one can write a symphony, or a dictionary,

          or even a letter to an old friend, full of remembrance
          and comfort.

          Not one can manage a single sound though the blue jays
          carp and whistle all day in the branches, without
          the push of the wind.

          But to tell the truth after a while I'm pale with longing
          for their thick bodies ruckled with lichen

          and you can't keep me from the woods, from the tonnage

          of their shoulders, and their shining green hair.

          Today is a day like any other: twenty-four hours, a
          little sunshine, a little rain.

          Listen, says ambition, nervously shifting her weight from
          one boot to another -- why don't you get going?

          For there I am, in the mossy shadows, under the trees.

          And to tell the truth I don't want to let go of the wrists
          of idleness, I don't want to sell my life for money,

          I don't even want to come in out of the rain.

                - Mary Oliver

          From:"Cane, Jim" <Jim.Cane@...>
          To:Laurence Packer <laurencepacker@...>, "beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com" <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>, Sam Droege <sdroege@...>
          Cc:Johnny Stowe <StoweJ@...>