RE: [beemonitoring] Answer (?) regarding Osmia cornifrons taxonomy

  • Cane, Jim
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 20, 2011

      Matt – I have learned some rifling through the reprint collection here.

      Citation in one paper led to this paper:

      Yasumatsu K. & Y. Hirashima, 1950. Revision of the genus Osmia of Japan and Korea

      (Hymenoptera: Megachilidae). Mushi, 21: 1-18, 3 pls.

      In those authors’ account of O. cornifrons, they give Cockerell (1922) credit for placement in Osmia. I am happy to be corrected by someone with more knowledge than me!  By the way, I see that Yasumatsu was a very productive Japanese entomologist and bee biologist/taxonomist (major emphasis on Micronesia) from the first half of the 20th century.  So much that I still do not know…

      Yours,

      jim

      ===============================

      James H. Cane

      USDA-ARS Pollinating Insect Research Lab

      Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

      tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

      email: Jim.Cane@...

      http://www.ars.usda.gov/npa/logan/beelab

      http://www.biology.usu.edu/people/facultyinfo.asp?username=jcane

      Gardening for Native Bees: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/plants-pollinators09.pdf

    • Matthew McKinney
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 20, 2011
        Jim,
        Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for.
        -Matt