Question regarding Osmia cornifrons

  • Matthew McKinney
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 19, 2011
      Can anyone tell me when Chalicodoma cornifrons was changed to Osmia
      cornifrons and perhaps point me to a specific publication?
      Thanks,
      Matt
    • Cane, Jim
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 20, 2011

        Matt – I have learned some rifling through the reprint collection here.

        Citation in one paper led to this paper:

        Yasumatsu K. & Y. Hirashima, 1950. Revision of the genus Osmia of Japan and Korea

        (Hymenoptera: Megachilidae). Mushi, 21: 1-18, 3 pls.

        In those authors’ account of O. cornifrons, they give Cockerell (1922) credit for placement in Osmia. I am happy to be corrected by someone with more knowledge than me!  By the way, I see that Yasumatsu was a very productive Japanese entomologist and bee biologist/taxonomist (major emphasis on Micronesia) from the first half of the 20th century.  So much that I still do not know…

        Yours,

        jim

        ===============================

        James H. Cane

        USDA-ARS Pollinating Insect Research Lab

        Utah State University, Logan, UT 84322 USA

        tel: 435-797-3879   FAX: 435-797-0461

        email: Jim.Cane@...

        http://www.ars.usda.gov/npa/logan/beelab

        http://www.biology.usu.edu/people/facultyinfo.asp?username=jcane

        Gardening for Native Bees: http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/factsheet/plants-pollinators09.pdf

      • Matthew McKinney
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 20, 2011
          Jim,
          Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for.
          -Matt