Field Camera Possibilities

  • Kim Bacon
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 18, 2008
      Sam,

      I just bought a new camera after looking around for quite a while. I ended up buying a
      Canon Powershot G9. It is probably a bit more than you were asking for, but it will do all
      that you asked. It is a high-end point and shoot which allows me to take close-ups
      (minimum shooting distance in macro at 1 cm). I am still practicing getting bee photos
      (those little guys are fast), but it's been great with other insects and, of course with
      stationary objects. It has a huge LCD screen. It is still small enough to carry around
      easily. It takes great landscape photos.

      I opted for the G9 (which is an expensive Point and Shoot) over a digital SLR because the
      G9 shoots video (which the SLR's do not do). I like to take video of sites (and insects) as
      well as still photos. I use a Mac system and have found it very easy to download both still
      and video to the computer. I can't speak for ease of use on other systems.

      I had been using a Canon Powershot A510 before I got my new camera. It is several years
      old but also takes great landscape photos. It is pretty useless for any quick close-up work,
      however. But it is rugged and is still the camera I throw in a field bag and don't worry
      about. If money is the deciding factor and I only wanted landscape photos, I'd keep using
      my A510. Cheaper and more rugged. If I wanted to be able to take a close-up of anything
      unusual I find, I would have to realize that the A510 probably wasn't going to take a great
      photo (and the G9 would).

      Hope this adds to the confusion.

      Kim Bacon
    • Robert Jean
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 19, 2008
        Sam,
        I recently purchased a Canon Powershot A720.  I have found it to be a great camera.  I like it over the SD types because it is slightly larger and has a bigger screen and more options and accessories.  Anyway it shoots great quality pictures and video.
        Rob Jean