Re: surveying bumble bees in urban areas

  • Elaine Evans
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 16, 2011
      I agree that catching the bees at the flowers is best. I prefer
      catching them directly into containers right at the flowers rather
      than catching them in nets and then transferring them to containers. I
      use snack size reusable plastic tupperware type containers. Nets are
      super handy if they are foraging in tall shrubs or trees, though.

      I also agree that although they are generalists, not all bumble bees
      visit the same flower species. A better way to standardize across the
      gradient would be to standardize your search effort. Cover the same
      area in the same amount of time. Floral resource density will vary
      across your urban gradient, so get measures of that. Hopefully you'll
      have the time and resources to sample enough sites so that this
      variation can be dealt with.

      Best of luck.
      -Elaine Evans
      www.befriendingbumblebees.com