CCD Hype

  • pollinator2001
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2011
      In the past few years Colony Collapse Disorder has been frequently in the news. While it's nice that bees are getting attention, exaggeration and "Chicken Little" hype are not beneficial.

      Generally the theme is that honeybees are going AWOL and that our food supply is threatened. I have been trying to counter this threat, noting that while there are problems such as CCD, the beekeeping industry is responding quite well to the threat. I've also pointed out the inaccuracy (probably serious underestimate) of the official numbers of colonies in the US.

      Now it's nice to get confirmation of what I've been saying: http://economics.clemson.edu/files/ccd-paper-full-package-apr14-2011.pdf

      The next thing I've been pointing out is that wild bees are much more difficult to replace than honey bees. I am hoping to see more confirmation of this in the future.

      Honey bees and wild bees each have a role to play in our food supply - and in the total balance of ecology. Sometimes they overlap; many times they don't.

      I am pleased to be a part of a group that is doing serious study of the wild bees and their role.

      I am not pleased when I see separation, competition, and antagonism between advocates of wild bees and advocates of honey bees. Both groups should be natural allies; the problems that confront each group of bees are significantly similar.

      One of the most serious problems that face ALL bees is the one mentioned here: http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20110930/NEWS01/309300018/Mysterious-south-Brevard-bee-kill-confounds-costs-keepers?fb_ref=artsharetop&fb_source=profile_multiline

      I have seen more of these pesticide kills than I can count. And consider - if (replaceable) honey bees are so seriously affected - how much more the wild bees are affected! We all need to get more involved in preventing such disastrous losses of both groups of pollinators.

      Dave Green
      Retired beekeeper
      Soapbox mode/off