Bees per Bowl Per Month

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2011

      I did a little summary of bowl captures today to look at rates of capture.  I extracted data from Maryland for which there were good records on the number of bowls that remained trappable during the time period they were set out.

      The results by month are below and are based on 18,499 bees caught in 13,575 bowls in Maryland - 2002-2011, the grand captures per bowl is 1.4 bees per bowl.
      Month
      bees/bowls
      bowls
      March
      0.97
      497
      April
      2.92
      1796
      May
      0.82
      2277
      June
      1.08
      1762
      July
      1.92
      1936
      August
      1.26
      2882
      September
      0.77
      2007
      October
      0.25
      418
      Total Bowls
      13575

      HUNTING RABBITS

      The men would often go hunting rabbits
      in the countryside around the hostel—
      with guns and traps and children following
      in the sunlight of afternoon paddocks:
      marvelling in their native tongues
      at the scent of eucalypts all around.

      We never asked where the guns came from
      or what was done with them later:
      as each rifle's echo cracked through the hills
      and a rabbit would leap as if jerked
      on a wire through the air—
      or, watching hands release a trap
      then listening to a neck being broken.

      Later, I could never bring myself
      to watch the animals being skinned
      and gutted—
      excitedly
      talking about the ones that escaped
      and how white tails bobbed among brown tussocks.
      For days afterwards
      our rooms smelt of blood and fur
      as the meat was cooked in pots
      over a kerosene primus.

      But eat I did, and asked for more,
      as I learnt about the meaning of rations
      and the length of queues in dining halls—
      as well as the names of trees
      from the surrounding hills that always seemed
      to be flowering with wattles:
      growing less and less frightened by gunshots
      and what the smell of gunpowder meant—
      quickly learning to walk and keep up with men
      who strode through strange hills
      as if their migration had still not come to an end.

      - Peter Skyzynecki