Re: [beemonitoring] Be on the lookout for Pseudoanthidium nanum right now

  • Doug Yanega
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 27, 2011
      Re: [beemonitoring] Be on the lookout for Pseudoanthidium
      About a month ago, Sam wrote:

      Doug...

      hmmmm

      That seems odd, what about Anthidium oblongatum?
      sam

      From: Doug Yanega <dyanega@...> To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com Date: 08/24/2011 09:24 PM Subject: Re: [beemonitoring] Be on the lookout for Pseudoanthidium nanum right now Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

      I've seen large numbers of these in malaise samples from around
      Seneca Lake in upstate NY, from fall of last year.

      Peace,
      --
      Doug Yanega

      I finally tracked down the malaise samples in question, extracted a few of the weird anthidiines, and Sam is correct: these are Anthidium oblongatum. Comparing them directly to images of Pseudoanthidium, the abdominal bands are more closely spaced, especially distally, than I had recalled them being. So much for having a *perfect* photographic memory...

      I'll try to get some of these mounted, labeled, and in our database so the records are online.

      Good call, Sam!
      --

      Doug Yanega        Dept. of Entomology         Entomology Research Museum
      Univ. of California, Riverside, CA 92521-0314        skype: dyanega