Not for Australians!: Postdoc Research Assoc - Pollination Ecology

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2011
      Dear Colleagues:

      I sent Ms. Sanchez's advertisement (below) to Gary Wilson in Australia (James Cook U., Queensland) as a number of people receive PhDs in Entomology every year but employment rates are considered poor since CSIRO dissolved much of its Entomology Division.  I thought that a recent PhD in Entomology/Pollination in Australia would leap at the opportunity to do a postdoc in Florida.   Look at Gary's reply.  In other words, a PostDoc in Australia makes most of my current salary if we convert the strong Australian dollar to the weak American.  My annual salary is based on 26 years of service to the same institution.

      Peter

      From: Stephanie Sanchez <ssanchez@...>
      Date: Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 7:58 AM
      To: pollinator@...

      May I please post the below message to the listserv?

      Thanks,

      Stephanie Sanchez

      Program Coordinator

      BFCI/Butterfly Conservation Initiative

      McGuire Center for Lepidoptera and Biodiversity

      Florida Museum of Natural History

      P.O. Box 112710

      Gainesville, FL  32611-2710

      Phone: 352-273-2010

      www.butterflyrecovery.org

      Postdoctoral Research Associate position in Pollination Ecology – University of Florida

      Employing unit: Florida Museum of Natural History

      Start date: October 1, 2011

      Duration: The position is full-time fixed term for two years.

      Post type: Postdoctoral Research Associate, full-time, fixed-term

      Pay Rate: $32,000-$32,960 per year (2 years)

      We are seeking to appoint a highly motivated Postdoctoral Researcher to coordinate large-scale field experiments assessing the role of various roadside vegetation management practices (mowing frequency, wildflower augmentation) for enhancing habitat and floral resources for insect pollinators. The successful applicant will be responsible for developing and analyzing a dataset of pollinator diversity resulting from insect surveys undertaken in north-central Florida.

      The position will begin as soon as a qualified applicant is found and is available for a two year period. Qualifications: a Ph.D. in ecology, entomology, or a related field; demonstrated expertise in collecting field data and managing large field research projects; excellent organizational skills; and strong data analysis and writing skills. Preference will be given to applicants with prior experience working with native bees or pollination biology. Taxonomic knowledge of both pollinators (especially native bees) and plants is desired. Landscape ecology, GIS and modeling skills would be welcomed but are not essential.

      The post will report directly to the project Principal Investigator, Dr. Jaret Daniels, and will receive general guidance and training from him and the other Principal Investigator Dr. Delano Lewis. The successful applicant must be self-motivated and able to work independently and on their own initiative, and as part of a multi-disciplinary team.

      To ensure full consideration please apply online at http://jobs.ufl.edu (requisition # 0809126.). The application should include: (1) cover letter, (2) curriculum vitae with the names and contact information of three (3) references. Any questions regarding this position may be directed via email to Dr. Jaret C. Daniels, Florida Museum of Natural History, University of Florida (jdaniels@...).

      Think B4U Print

      1 ream of paper = 6% of a tree and 5.4kg CO2 in the atmosphere

      3 sheets of A4 paper = 1 litre of water