Re: [beemonitoring] Unknown growth/mite on a wild bumblebee - can you ID it?

  • Matthias Buck
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 28, 2011
      Hi,

      My colleague and mite expert David Walter here at the Royal Alberta Museum commented on the picture: ``The mite is a Mesostigmata, possibly a species of Parasitellus, but diagnostic characters are not available in the image.``

      I hope this helps,

                         Matthias

      On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 1:07 PM, Jay Warner at AT_T <jay.warner3@...> wrote:
      Dear Bee-Friendly People,
      I photographed a pink protrusion on a bumblebee yesterday - see attached photo, and various local and national bee people suggested I post it to you folks for an ID.

      I'm wondering if it is "normal," a growth on the bee of some kind, or a mite or similar thing.

      I have no idea of the species - I only take their pictures - and I only recently realized that bumble bees had multiple species.

      Location:  Caledonia, (5 miles north of Racine, WI), about 3 miles from Lake Michigan & 25 miles south of Milwaukee.
      Location detail:  a field of cup plants with a wall of trees on N, W, & S sides, about 6 feet off the ground, in open shade & almost clear sky.
      Date/Time: 8/22/11, 7:02 pm CDT  local sunset: 7:44 pm

      Sincerely,
      Jay
      Pink protrusion is on the bee's right side, apparently at the head-thorax joint.

      Jay Warner
      Environmentalist, Voter &
      Tree hugger wanna-be
      Village of Caledonia, WI 53404