Be on the lookout for Pseudoanthidium nanum right now

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 24, 2011
      All

      This Sunday I came across 2 specimens of Pseudoanthidium nanum in Hagerstown, Maryland and just saw a set of nice pictures on Bugguide from Thomas of Baltimore that also showed the species is doing well in central Baltimore.

      So, if you live in the Boston to Richmond corridor you should be checking your industrial parks, Centaurea patches, car parks, and other wastelands for this tiny little Anthidiine....they are about the size or a little smaller than Osmia pumila.

      It wouldn't hurt to look around the Toronto "port" area, if you know what I mean, York University people.

      What Issa Heard

      Two hundred years ago
      Issa heard
      the morning birds
      singing sutras
      to this suffering world.

      I heard them too,
      this morning,
      which must mean

      Since we will always have
      a suffering world
      we must also always
      have a song.

      - David Budbill

    • Doug Yanega
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 24, 2011
        I've seen large numbers of these in malaise samples from around
        Seneca Lake in upstate NY, from fall of last year.

        Peace,

      • Nicholas Stewart
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 29, 2011
          Haven't collected a single Pseudoanthidium sp., Anthidium sp. nor any other of the invasive Megachilids over two yrs of extensive sampling in N GA apple orchards, nor within my four GA state parks (Amicola, Ft. Mountain, Black Rock, nor Tallulah Gorge State Parks), comprising my study.

          Have any of the known invasive Megachilid species been found far from their likely entry/import points (air-/sea-ports, botanical gardens, tropical crops, cities, etc.) thus far - more specifically in N. &/or S. Carolina, E. TN, N. FL, or GA?

          Any other invasives &/or exotics which I should be looking out for around my sites within those aformentioned states, esp. in N. GA Rosaceae-crop type orchards (apples, peaches, plums, cherries, etc.)?

          On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 9:24 PM, Doug Yanega <dyanega@...> wrote:

          I've seen large numbers of these in malaise samples from around
          Seneca Lake in upstate NY, from fall of last year.

          Peace,

          Nicholas Glynn Stewart
          The Georg
          ia Native Pollinator
          Species Biodiversity Assessment & Inventory
          ----- Managing Native Pollinator Richness:   Efforts in Sustainable, Native Pollination Services -----
          Project Design   ---   Lead Field Researcher   ---   Primary Taxonomist
          nick.s2art@... (PRIMARY)        (404)784-6236

        • Doug Yanega
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 27, 2011
            Re: [beemonitoring] Be on the lookout for Pseudoanthidium
            About a month ago, Sam wrote:

            Doug...

            hmmmm

            That seems odd, what about Anthidium oblongatum?
            sam

            From: Doug Yanega <dyanega@...> To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com Date: 08/24/2011 09:24 PM Subject: Re: [beemonitoring] Be on the lookout for Pseudoanthidium nanum right now Sent by: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

            --
            Doug Yanega

            I finally tracked down the malaise samples in question, extracted a few of the weird anthidiines, and Sam is correct: these are Anthidium oblongatum. Comparing them directly to images of Pseudoanthidium, the abdominal bands are more closely spaced, especially distally, than I had recalled them being. So much for having a *perfect* photographic memory...

            I'll try to get some of these mounted, labeled, and in our database so the records are online.

            Good call, Sam!
            --

            Doug Yanega        Dept. of Entomology         Entomology Research Museum
            Univ. of California, Riverside, CA 92521-0314        skype: dyanega