Re: [beemonitoring] bar or scan-code systems to aid insect curation

  • John S. Ascher
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 22, 2011
      I agree with Doug that retroactive data entry can be done efficiently and
      accurately without use a scanner. We have matrix codes encoding our
      specimen USIs, but our technicians find it easy to read the alphanumeric
      codes on the these USIs and to enter the USIs manually. They don't seem to
      make frequent or serious errors in doing so (in part because our database
      has built in safeguards to prevent overwriting of data, inadvertent entry
      of too many records at once, etc) and all of them regard recording of the
      USI as one of the quickest and easiest of their assigned tasks.

      However, when dealing with proactive data entry systems or whenever one
      must update species identifications or other information for a large
      number of records, especially if these involve diverse taxa or collecting
      events, it is extremely useful to have machine-readable matrix codes on
      the USI labels. We find the scanner most useful when processing large
      loans, especially complex ones such as those involving synoptic
      collections.

      We have the ability to make bulk updates to selected records using an Edit
      Mode in our system, so in all but the most complex cases we can make
      necessary name changes and make other updates quickly, easily, and
      reliably, without having to read USIs from labels (whether manually or by
      a scanner). Without such a "bulk update" functionality we would have far
      more occasion to machine-read our USI labels.

      Our labels have the USI alphnumeric written out as well as encoded in the
      matrix, and this redundancy increases my confidence that most labels will
      be readable by either a human or a machine in the distant future. The best
      long-term insurance is to properly maintain and curate the specimens so
      that these can be reexamined if associated data are lost or corrupted. It
      should be obvious that archiving of specimens is even more important than
      archiving associated data, but many data capture initiatives seem to
      concern themselves more or only with the latter (the idea being I suppose
      that once the data are recorded "permanently" we need not worry too much
      about the physical specimen." It seems to me that essential curation both
      before and after data entry is an under-appreciated aspect of existing and
      planned databasing programs! I suppose that this is expected to be done
      for free without dedicated external funding?

      "Flagging of questionable specimens or data entry"

      This is clearly a benefit of using a database and associated informatics
      tools, but is this really a benefit derived from use of the scanner?

      Having just visited the BBSL and glimpsed the size and rapid growth of
      their collection, I can see that they really need make optimal use of
      available tools, including machine-readable labels, as H is doing, whereas
      as smaller collection could muddle through with a less sophisticated
      system.

      Rather than entering or reading USIs, the more difficult challenges our
      data entry personnel face that routinely cause serious errors include 1)
      the difficulty of deciphering illegible labels and 2) the difficulty of
      sorting out near-duplicate localities. Many resulting outright errors or
      suboptimal decisions can be sorted out after the fact, without use of a
      scanner at any point, once these are detected by robots (e.g., Discover
      Life error-checking functions) and human experts. Used of a shared,
      web-based system (one with many users some of which are active and expert
      in taxonomy and/or geography) increases the likelihood that such
      retroactive corrections will be made in a timely fashion.

      As far as efficiency of data entry, a big time sink is the need to cut and
      affix species determination and USI labels with due care to delicate
      specimens.

      Two of the best ways to improve both reliability and efficiency of data
      capture, both of which we use in our AMNH system are:

      1) Bulk entry of as much data as possible from reliable,
      centrally-maintained authority files so that data entry personnel select
      from these rather than typing data (no data entry technician using our
      system is allowed to type a bee name or a country name, ever!).

      2) Full use of autocomplete and tab-through functionality (as available in
      Mozilla Firefox) so that data bulk entered from the authority files
      referred to above can be located and selected very quickly with few
      keystrokes and with minimal or no use of a mouse.

      These things are described in the following paper:

      Schuh, R. T., Hewson-Smith, S., and J. S. Ascher. 2010. Specimen
      databases: a case study in entomology using web-based software. American
      Entomologist 56(4): 206-216.

      I'm happy to send a pdf to anyone who's interested.

      John

      --
      John S. Ascher, Ph.D.
      Bee Database Project Manager