Re: [beemonitoring] Largest Centris Bee in the World?

  • John S. Ascher
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 19 1:28 PM
      I agree that the largest Centris (and the largest Centridini) should be in
      subgenus Ptilotopus (treated as a genus by Snelling in his revision). I
      just identified Centris americana in the BBSL (Utah Bee Lab) last week and
      can confirm that this species is impressively large! There are some
      Brazilian (and other) Ptilotopus species that are rare in collections, and
      I cannot verify that americana is larger than all of these. I suspect that
      the Guinness record book specimens of Centris (Ptilotopus), whether C.
      americana or another species, may be in Moure's collection in Curitiba,
      Brazil, which I have never visited.

      Some Centris (Melacentris) [formerly Melanocentris] such as C. rhodoprocta
      are also very long but may tend to be slightly smaller and more slender
      than the largest Ptilotopus. The two Centris subgenera including "giants"
      can be easily separated in the female by the basitibial plate. C.
      (Melanocentris) possess an elevated secondary plate, whereas this is
      lacking in Ptilotopus resulting in a very large basitibial plate with a
      flat surface. Some C. (Melacentris) and C. (Ptilotopus) have convergent
      color patterns so it is important to check subgeneric characters when
      making determinations rather than relying solely on general appearance.

      I wonder whichm, if any, bee genera or subgenera other than Megachile
      (Callomegachile) [including M. pluto] and Xylocopa might possibly include
      species as large as Centris americana?

      John

      --
      John S. Ascher, Ph.D.