Largest Centris Bee in the World?

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 19, 2011

      All

      We just got a query about what the largest Centris bee in the world might be....are there any obvious candidates?

      Thanks

      Hi, Could you please help me with sum info.
      I would like to know what is the largest Species of Centris bees in the world.
      Waiting on your reply. All the best Lee

      --
      Nancy Lowe
      Outreach Coordinator

      www.discoverlife.org
    • Arthur V. Evans
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 19, 2011

        Sam,

        According to Michener, the largest species of Centris is in the subgenus Ptilotopus (12 spp.) and measures in at 32 mm. This should narrow it down a bit!

        Cheers, ART

        Arthur V. Evans, D.Sc.

        Adjunct Professor:
        Biology Department, Randolph-Macon College, Ashland, VA
        Biology Department, University of Richmond, Richmond, VA
        Biology Department, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA

        Research Associate:
        Department of Entomology, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC
        Department of Recent Invertebrates, Virginia Museum of Natural History, Martinsville, VA
        Life Sciences, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA

        What's Bugging You?

        What's Bugging You? is on 88.9 FM WCVE Richmond Public Radio

        Join me on Facebook <http://facebook.com/Dr.Art.Evans.entomologist> to find out about upcoming lectures, books, and other insect events

        On Aug 19, 2011, at 1:41 PM, Sam Droege wrote:

        All

        We just got a query about what the largest Centris bee in the world might be....are there any obvious candidates?

        Thanks

        Hi, Could you please help me with sum info.
        I would like to know what is the largest Species of Centris bees in the world.
        Waiting on your reply. All the best Lee

        --
        Nancy Lowe
        Outreach Coordinator
        Discover Life

        www.discoverlife.org

      • Jack Neff
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 19, 2011
          According to the description, Centris (Ptilotopus) americana (Klug) is up to 36 mm long (as C. bombiformis Spin.) which may make it the centridine champ.  All Ptilotopus are large bees so even larger could be lurking out there,  depending if one wants mass or length.  You might check with John Ascher or someone else with access to a collection with extensive neotropical holdings to nail it down.

          best

          Jack

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 19, 2011
            I agree that the largest Centris (and the largest Centridini) should be in
            subgenus Ptilotopus (treated as a genus by Snelling in his revision). I
            just identified Centris americana in the BBSL (Utah Bee Lab) last week and
            can confirm that this species is impressively large! There are some
            Brazilian (and other) Ptilotopus species that are rare in collections, and
            I cannot verify that americana is larger than all of these. I suspect that
            the Guinness record book specimens of Centris (Ptilotopus), whether C.
            americana or another species, may be in Moure's collection in Curitiba,
            Brazil, which I have never visited.

            Some Centris (Melacentris) [formerly Melanocentris] such as C. rhodoprocta
            are also very long but may tend to be slightly smaller and more slender
            than the largest Ptilotopus. The two Centris subgenera including "giants"
            can be easily separated in the female by the basitibial plate. C.
            (Melanocentris) possess an elevated secondary plate, whereas this is
            lacking in Ptilotopus resulting in a very large basitibial plate with a
            flat surface. Some C. (Melacentris) and C. (Ptilotopus) have convergent
            color patterns so it is important to check subgeneric characters when
            making determinations rather than relying solely on general appearance.

            I wonder whichm, if any, bee genera or subgenera other than Megachile
            (Callomegachile) [including M. pluto] and Xylocopa might possibly include
            species as large as Centris americana?

            John

            --
            John S. Ascher, Ph.D.