Re: [beemonitoring] Site documentation, Field Camera Possibilities

  • David Inouye
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 14, 2008
      The newest version of Photoshop has a nice program for making panoramas.

      At 12:18 PM 1/14/2008, you wrote:

      >Sam -
      >
      >I take a lot of photos to document vegetation and the condition of the
      >public lands I visit. One thing that I have found extremely useful is a
      >program that stitches together adjacent photos to make a panorama shot. It
      >really conveys a much better idea of what a landscape is like, rather than
      >relying on a single shot. For work I use an older Nikon coolpix (probably
      >a little bigger than you want, but a good camera) - includes a program
      >called Panorama Maker. I'm sure that there are other similar programs
      >available.
      >
      >- Denis
      >
      >Denis M. Kearns
      >Botanist
      >Bureau of Land Management
      >Bakersfield Field Office
      >(661) 391-6115
    • patty_string
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 15, 2008
        Sam -

        I was shopping for digital cameras this past year and asked a friend
        that does a lot of photography. I ended up with the Cannon SD and
        it's been very good. Anyway, here are his recommendations:

        For starters, I really like having wide angle (28mm) capability.
        These all have it.

        For a small point and shoot I like the Canon SD 800 IS. It has a wide
        angle lens and zooms to 105mm which is great for portraits.

        http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/460255-
        REG/Canon_1270B001_PowerShot_SD800_IS_Digital.html

        For super image quality even in low light you need a DSLR. The Nikon
        D40 is a good choice. These are full size cameras, however. I Have a
        D70 if you want to try it.

        http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/471716-
        REG/Nikon_25420_D40_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

        Here's the Ricoh Caplio R6. This is the newer model of the camera I
        use as a pocket camera. I have a Ricoh Caplio R4. It has wide angle
        and telephoto capability. Ricoh is big outside the US . I like it
        because it has both wide angle and telephoto in a pocket camera.

        http://www.popflash.com/index.php?p=product&id=1522&parent=0

        Cheers,

        Patty
      • frozenbeedoc@cs.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 15, 2008
          Sam,

          I have a Pentax Optio E10.  Got it with Rewards Points on Am Exp, I think.  But i like the photos I get.  It have a number of options, including landscape, is a small camera, and it's easy to pop in a new card if you need more space.  I also got a very inexpensive USB plug in, that takes 4 sizes of photo cards for downloading.  And the camera comes with software, of course.  I pull most everything into PHotoshop if I intend to use it further.

          Good luck, looks like there is more information than you wanted!

          Anita
        • Joe Metzger
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 18, 2008
            Sam,

                      Since brand and features and being the "latest" don't seem to matter. You might look for a model which is being discontinued. That way you get a new camera but usually at a much lower price because the company is trying to get rid of it so that it can sell it's new improved version.

                                                                                  Joe

            To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
            From: sdroege@...
            Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 09:04:47 -0500
            Subject: [beemonitoring] Site documentation, Field Camera Possibilities

            Folks:

            I am thinking that it would be great to have digital pictures of all my be collection sites.  Those pictures could then be linked directly to the database and future generations could inspect the pictures and make up their mind as to what the habitat might be.

            So, I am wondering what sort of cameras might be best for this application and here are my criteria:

            1.  Fast to use.  I am usually in a rush.  I want to take a gps reading, put out bowls, and then whip out a camera and take a landscape shot without fooling around with settings.  Something similar to a cell phone camera, a date/time stamp on the picture would be great to have.
            2.  It should be able to hold several hundred pictures
            3.  It should be small enough or rugged enough to sit in my pocket or be on a belt clip
            4.  Quality and large number of pixels isn't as much as an issue as something that you would use for portraits or close-ups.
            5.  All it really needs to do is take landscape pictures.
            6.  It should be relatively inexpensive
            7.  It should be easy to dump the data onto a laptop or computer

            I look forward to your thoughts.

            Thanks

            sam

            Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@USGS. GOV
            Http://www.pwrc. usgs.gov

            Saguaro

            Often visitors there, saddened
            by lack of trees, go out
            to a promontory.

            Then, backed by the banded
            sunset, the trail
            of the Conquistadores,

            the father puts on the camera,
            the leather albatross,
            and has the children

            imitate saguaros. One
            at a time they stand there smiling,
            fingers up like the tines of a fork

            while the stately saguaro
            goes on being entered
            by wrens, diseases, and sunlight.

            The mother sits on a rock,
            arms folded
            across her breasts. To her

            the cactus looks scared,
            its needles
            like hair in cartoons.

            With its arms in preacher
            or waltz position,
            it gives the impression

            of great effort
            in every direction,
            like the mother.

            Thousands of these gray-green
            cacti cross the valley:
            nature repeating itself,

            children repeating nature,
            father repeating children
            and mother watching.

            Later, the children think
            the cactus was moral,
            had something to teach them,

            some survival technique
            or just regular beauty.
            But what else could it do?

            The only protection
            against death
            was to love solitude.

                 - Brenda Hillman

          • Kim Bacon
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 18, 2008
              Sam,

              I just bought a new camera after looking around for quite a while. I ended up buying a
              Canon Powershot G9. It is probably a bit more than you were asking for, but it will do all
              that you asked. It is a high-end point and shoot which allows me to take close-ups
              (minimum shooting distance in macro at 1 cm). I am still practicing getting bee photos
              (those little guys are fast), but it's been great with other insects and, of course with
              stationary objects. It has a huge LCD screen. It is still small enough to carry around
              easily. It takes great landscape photos.

              I opted for the G9 (which is an expensive Point and Shoot) over a digital SLR because the
              G9 shoots video (which the SLR's do not do). I like to take video of sites (and insects) as
              well as still photos. I use a Mac system and have found it very easy to download both still
              and video to the computer. I can't speak for ease of use on other systems.

              I had been using a Canon Powershot A510 before I got my new camera. It is several years
              old but also takes great landscape photos. It is pretty useless for any quick close-up work,
              however. But it is rugged and is still the camera I throw in a field bag and don't worry
              about. If money is the deciding factor and I only wanted landscape photos, I'd keep using
              my A510. Cheaper and more rugged. If I wanted to be able to take a close-up of anything
              unusual I find, I would have to realize that the A510 probably wasn't going to take a great
              photo (and the G9 would).

              Hope this adds to the confusion.

              Kim Bacon
            • Robert Jean
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 19, 2008
                Sam,
                I recently purchased a Canon Powershot A720.  I have found it to be a great camera.  I like it over the SD types because it is slightly larger and has a bigger screen and more options and accessories.  Anyway it shoots great quality pictures and video.
                Rob Jean