small GPS device that only gives lat long and works quickly

  • Daniel Kjar
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2011
      I have been searching for quite a while to find a cheap, simple, small,
      gps that just gives you lat and long and doesn't do anything else. I
      need something that will quickly tell me my location during a collection
      event but not have to worry about lugging something around and batteries
      running out if I leave it on. I found it and thought others might like
      it too. It is called the Bushnell Backtrack 5. Although the original
      and the backtrack 3 are smaller they don't give you lat long (just
      directions back to your car).

      Even sitting in my 2 story house this thing gives me a good location.
      Outside it takes about 5 seconds from power on to location data. Has a
      nice light for night readings too. Takes a couple double aa batteries
      and is about 4 inches long, 2.5 wides, maybe 3/4 of inch thick.
      Price on amazon was 70 dollars.

      Dan

      --
      Dr. Daniel Kjar
      Assistant Professor of Biology

      "...humans send their young men to war; ants send their old ladies"
      -E. O. Wilson