An efficient and accurate way to set up your Barcoding Computer

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2011
      All

      Since more people are using barcodes in their work I thought I would add a couple of things that make that using barcode systems easier for us....

      1.  Set up sheets of foam around your computer monitor where you do your coding and pin barcodes  (big ones) for the common genera and species names you use as well as other things that are commonly entered...in that way the person doing data entry can simply scan the name rather than type it in (this eliminates mannnnnnny errors)
      2.  When I do determinations I put specimens into large pizza boxes with plenty of room for me to move specimens and labels around

      3.  A row of species in a box starts with a separate pinned det label...this makes it way easier for the dataentry person to figure out where sets of species start and stop.  Specimens continue left to right top to bottom until a new det label appears
      4.  Males are set horizontally, and females vertically thus eliminating another set of labels for sex
      5.  We can enter about 800 specimens an hour with this set up with virtually no mistakes
      6.  After data entry I cross check the database against the box of specimens....which goes quickly because the det labels are so visible.
      7.  After that I use a set of of colored pins to indicate where specimens should be dispersed...which go to our collection and which go to surplus, recycle, or other researchers.

      Once more the Heavenly Power
      Makes all things new,
      And domes the red-plow'd hills
      With loving blue;