RE: [beemonitoring] Megachile apicalis

  • Doug Yanega
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2011
      Terry wrote:

      >We have records of Megachile apicalis from CA, and from golf courses
      >in OR & southern WA. We have no field caught records from UT or
      >anywhere else in the Great Basin & Colorado Plateau. The suggestion
      >of UT might have come from specimens in our collection that are
      >labeled "Logan Greenhouse" and were flown in caged experiments.
      >These are not being served on GBIF.

      For this reason, we do not database locality data for any reared or
      inspector-intercepted specimens *unless* we know the locality of the
      source population (and then we database that source). There were some
      heated arguments with my boss over this with regards to thousands of
      specimens of exotic parasitoid wasps reared in our quarantine
      facilities, which he wanted to database as being from Riverside,
      creating points on distribution maps giving a place where these
      species do not naturally occur. He thought it should be sufficient to
      include a note somewhere in some "miscellaneous notes" field that
      said something like "lab culture originally from Durban, South
      Africa", but I finally convinced him with the argument that people
      would never read those notes, and instead assume that the mapped
      points indicated these species had escaped and established in the
      wild here in the US, and likewise make it impossible to recognize
      those few cases where something HAS been introduced and established
      here - he admitted that this would be a bad thing, and capitulated.

      Peace,