On the use of hand steamers on bad bee hair - NOT

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2011

      All

      We did a series of experiments as did another researcher on using hand steamers on bees to resurrect matted and dirty hair...

      We failed in all cases and I have shipped off the steamer to a beetle person who will put it to better use.

      All the Dead Dears

      In the Arch├Žological Museum in Cambridge is a stone
      coffin of the fourth century A.D. containing the skeletons
      of a woman, a mouse and a shrew. The ankle-bone of the
      woman has been slightly gnawed.

      Rigged poker -stiff on her back
      With a granite grin
      This antique museum-cased lady
      Lies, companioned by the gimcrack
      Relics of a mouse and a shrew
      That battened for a day on her ankle-bone.

      These three, unmasked now, bear
      Dry witness
      To the gross eating game
      We'd wink at if we didn't hear
      Stars grinding, crumb by crumb,
      Our own grist down to its bony face.

      How they grip us through think and thick,
      These barnacle dead!
      This lady here's no kin
      Of mine, yet kin she is: she'll suck
      Blood and whistle my narrow clean
      To prove it. As I think now of her hand,

      From the mercury-backed glass
      Mother, grandmother, greatgrandmother
      Reach hag hands to haul me in,
      And an image looms under the fishpond surface
      Where the daft father went down
      With orange duck-feet winnowing this hair ---

      All the long gone darlings: They
      Get back, though, soon,
      Soon: be it by wakes, weddings,
      Childbirths or a family barbecue:
      Any touch, taste, tang's
      Fit for those outlaws to ride home on,

      And to sanctuary: usurping the armchair
      Between tick
      And tack of the clock, until we go,
      Each skulled-and-crossboned Gulliver
      Riddled with ghosts, to lie
      Deadlocked with them, taking roots as cradles rock.

      - Sylvia Plath