Re: [beemonitoring] Site documentation, Field Camera Possibilities

  • cmcdon@email.arizona.edu
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 14, 2008
      Sam,

      If portability and size are key then you want a compact camera (aka "point and
      shoot"). Canon has a line of them the try the powershot SD 1000 for reference.
      Buy a 2gb or 4gb memory card (it will hold hundreds of pics) and most
      computers
      come with a memory card reader so you can treat the memory card like a thumb
      drive. Or else you will buy a converter which will connect the memory card
      directly to the USB port.

      www.bhphotovideo.com has a good selection but any major store will carry what
      you need.

      If you dont care so much about picture quality nearly every major brand has a
      decent camera for about $200. You really aren't asking for much so almost any
      reputable camera will work.

      No worries,

      Chris

    • Matthew Sarver
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 14, 2008
        I agree with you, Chris. My girlfriend and I have had great luck with her
        Canon PowerShot SD550 Digital Elph. The bonus is that it has a pretty good
        macro setting if you need it for plant and insect shots. Small enough to
        fit in a pocket. It's the only camera we carried with us on a month-long
        trip to Costa Rica and it did very well for macros and landscapes.

        Based on our experience with this model, I would definitely recommend the
        PowerShot SD line. Most of these are on Amazon for around $175-$250.

        -Matt

        Quoting Sam Droege <sdroege@...>:

> [...]
        > similar to a cell phone camera, a date/time stamp on the picture would be
        great to have.
        > 2. It should be able to hold several hundred pictures 3. It should
        > be small enough or rugged enough to sit in my pocket or be on a belt
        > clip 4. Quality and large number of pixels isn't as much as an issue
        > as something that you would use for portraits or close-ups.
        > 5. All it really needs to do is take landscape pictures.
        > 6. It should be relatively inexpensive 7. It should be easy to dump
        > the data onto a laptop or computer
        >
        > I look forward to your thoughts.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > sam
        >

        > Sam Droege Sam_Droege@...
        > w 301-497-5840 h 301-390-7759 fax 301-497-5624 USGS Patuxent Wildlife
        > Research Center BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave.,

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Denis_Kearns@ca.blm.gov
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 14, 2008
          Sam -

          I take a lot of photos to document vegetation and the condition of the
          public lands I visit. One thing that I have found extremely useful is a
          program that stitches together adjacent photos to make a panorama shot. It
          really conveys a much better idea of what a landscape is like, rather than
          relying on a single shot. For work I use an older Nikon coolpix (probably
          a little bigger than you want, but a good camera) - includes a program
          called Panorama Maker. I'm sure that there are other similar programs
          available.

          - Denis

          Denis M. Kearns
          Botanist
          Bureau of Land Management
          Bakersfield Field Office
          (661) 391-6115
        • David Inouye
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 14, 2008
            The newest version of Photoshop has a nice program for making panoramas.

            At 12:18 PM 1/14/2008, you wrote:

            >Sam -
            >
            >I take a lot of photos to document vegetation and the condition of the
            >public lands I visit. One thing that I have found extremely useful is a
            >program that stitches together adjacent photos to make a panorama shot. It
            >really conveys a much better idea of what a landscape is like, rather than
            >relying on a single shot. For work I use an older Nikon coolpix (probably
            >a little bigger than you want, but a good camera) - includes a program
            >called Panorama Maker. I'm sure that there are other similar programs
            >available.
            >
            >- Denis
            >
            >Denis M. Kearns
            >Botanist
            >Bureau of Land Management
            >Bakersfield Field Office
            >(661) 391-6115
          • patty_string
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 15, 2008
              Sam -

              I was shopping for digital cameras this past year and asked a friend
              that does a lot of photography. I ended up with the Cannon SD and
              it's been very good. Anyway, here are his recommendations:

              For starters, I really like having wide angle (28mm) capability.
              These all have it.

              For a small point and shoot I like the Canon SD 800 IS. It has a wide
              angle lens and zooms to 105mm which is great for portraits.

              http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/460255-
              REG/Canon_1270B001_PowerShot_SD800_IS_Digital.html

              For super image quality even in low light you need a DSLR. The Nikon
              D40 is a good choice. These are full size cameras, however. I Have a
              D70 if you want to try it.

              http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/471716-
              REG/Nikon_25420_D40_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

              Here's the Ricoh Caplio R6. This is the newer model of the camera I
              use as a pocket camera. I have a Ricoh Caplio R4. It has wide angle
              and telephoto capability. Ricoh is big outside the US . I like it
              because it has both wide angle and telephoto in a pocket camera.

              http://www.popflash.com/index.php?p=product&id=1522&parent=0

              Cheers,

              Patty
            • frozenbeedoc@cs.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 15, 2008
                Sam,

                I have a Pentax Optio E10.  Got it with Rewards Points on Am Exp, I think.  But i like the photos I get.  It have a number of options, including landscape, is a small camera, and it's easy to pop in a new card if you need more space.  I also got a very inexpensive USB plug in, that takes 4 sizes of photo cards for downloading.  And the camera comes with software, of course.  I pull most everything into PHotoshop if I intend to use it further.

                Good luck, looks like there is more information than you wanted!

                Anita
              • Joe Metzger
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 18, 2008
                  Sam,

                            Since brand and features and being the "latest" don't seem to matter. You might look for a model which is being discontinued. That way you get a new camera but usually at a much lower price because the company is trying to get rid of it so that it can sell it's new improved version.

                                                                                        Joe

                  To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                  From: sdroege@...
                  Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 09:04:47 -0500

                  Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@USGS. GOV
[...]

                • Kim Bacon
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 18, 2008
                    Sam,

                    I just bought a new camera after looking around for quite a while. I ended up buying a
                    Canon Powershot G9. It is probably a bit more than you were asking for, but it will do all
                    that you asked. It is a high-end point and shoot which allows me to take close-ups
                    (minimum shooting distance in macro at 1 cm). I am still practicing getting bee photos
                    (those little guys are fast), but it's been great with other insects and, of course with
                    stationary objects. It has a huge LCD screen. It is still small enough to carry around
                    easily. It takes great landscape photos.

                    I opted for the G9 (which is an expensive Point and Shoot) over a digital SLR because the
                    G9 shoots video (which the SLR's do not do). I like to take video of sites (and insects) as
                    well as still photos. I use a Mac system and have found it very easy to download both still
                    and video to the computer. I can't speak for ease of use on other systems.

                    I had been using a Canon Powershot A510 before I got my new camera. It is several years
                    old but also takes great landscape photos. It is pretty useless for any quick close-up work,
                    however. But it is rugged and is still the camera I throw in a field bag and don't worry
                    about. If money is the deciding factor and I only wanted landscape photos, I'd keep using
                    my A510. Cheaper and more rugged. If I wanted to be able to take a close-up of anything
                    unusual I find, I would have to realize that the A510 probably wasn't going to take a great
                    photo (and the G9 would).

                    Hope this adds to the confusion.

                    Kim Bacon
                  • Robert Jean
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 19, 2008
                      Sam,
                      I recently purchased a Canon Powershot A720.  I have found it to be a great camera.  I like it over the SD types because it is slightly larger and has a bigger screen and more options and accessories.  Anyway it shoots great quality pictures and video.
                      Rob Jean