Site documentation, Field Camera Possibilities

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 14, 2008

      Folks:

      I am thinking that it would be great to have digital pictures of all my be collection sites.  Those pictures could then be linked directly to the database and future generations could inspect the pictures and make up their mind as to what the habitat might be.

      So, I am wondering what sort of cameras might be best for this application and here are my criteria:

      1.  Fast to use.  I am usually in a rush.  I want to take a gps reading, put out bowls, and then whip out a camera and take a landscape shot without fooling around with settings.  Something similar to a cell phone camera, a date/time stamp on the picture would be great to have.
      2.  It should be able to hold several hundred pictures
      3.  It should be small enough or rugged enough to sit in my pocket or be on a belt clip
      4.  Quality and large number of pixels isn't as much as an issue as something that you would use for portraits or close-ups.
      5.  All it really needs to do is take landscape pictures.
      6.  It should be relatively inexpensive
      7.  It should be easy to dump the data onto a laptop or computer

      I look forward to your thoughts.

      Thanks

      sam

      Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@...

      Saguaro

      Often visitors there, saddened
      by lack of trees, go out
      to a promontory.

      Then, backed by the banded
      sunset, the trail
      of the Conquistadores,

      the father puts on the camera,
      the leather albatross,
      and has the children

      imitate saguaros. One
      at a time they stand there smiling,
      fingers up like the tines of a fork

      while the stately saguaro
      goes on being entered
      by wrens, diseases, and sunlight.

      The mother sits on a rock,
      arms folded
      across her breasts. To her

      the cactus looks scared,
      its needles
      like hair in cartoons.

      With its arms in preacher
      or waltz position,
      it gives the impression

      of great effort
      in every direction,
      like the mother.

      Thousands of these gray-green
      cacti cross the valley:
      nature repeating itself,

      children repeating nature,
      father repeating children
      and mother watching.

      Later, the children think
      the cactus was moral,
      had something to teach them,

      some survival technique
      or just regular beauty.
      But what else could it do?

      The only protection
      against death
      was to love solitude.

           - Brenda Hillman
    • cmcdon@email.arizona.edu
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 14, 2008
        Sam,

        If portability and size are key then you want a compact camera (aka "point and
        shoot"). Canon has a line of them the try the powershot SD 1000 for reference.
        Buy a 2gb or 4gb memory card (it will hold hundreds of pics) and most
        computers
        come with a memory card reader so you can treat the memory card like a thumb
        drive. Or else you will buy a converter which will connect the memory card
        directly to the USB port.

        www.bhphotovideo.com has a good selection but any major store will carry what
        you need.

        If you dont care so much about picture quality nearly every major brand has a
        decent camera for about $200. You really aren't asking for much so almost any
        reputable camera will work.

        No worries,

        Chris

      • Matthew Sarver
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 14, 2008
          I agree with you, Chris. My girlfriend and I have had great luck with her
          Canon PowerShot SD550 Digital Elph. The bonus is that it has a pretty good
          macro setting if you need it for plant and insect shots. Small enough to
          fit in a pocket. It's the only camera we carried with us on a month-long
          trip to Costa Rica and it did very well for macros and landscapes.

          Based on our experience with this model, I would definitely recommend the
          PowerShot SD line. Most of these are on Amazon for around $175-$250.

          -Matt

          Quoting Sam Droege <sdroege@...>:

> [...]
          > similar to a cell phone camera, a date/time stamp on the picture would be
          great to have.
          > 2. It should be able to hold several hundred pictures 3. It should
          > be small enough or rugged enough to sit in my pocket or be on a belt
          > clip 4. Quality and large number of pixels isn't as much as an issue
          > as something that you would use for portraits or close-ups.
          > 5. All it really needs to do is take landscape pictures.
          > 6. It should be relatively inexpensive 7. It should be easy to dump
          > the data onto a laptop or computer
          >
          > I look forward to your thoughts.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > sam
          >

          > Sam Droege Sam_Droege@...
          > w 301-497-5840 h 301-390-7759 fax 301-497-5624 USGS Patuxent Wildlife
          > Research Center BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave.,

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Denis_Kearns@ca.blm.gov
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 14, 2008
            Sam -

            I take a lot of photos to document vegetation and the condition of the
            public lands I visit. One thing that I have found extremely useful is a
            program that stitches together adjacent photos to make a panorama shot. It
            really conveys a much better idea of what a landscape is like, rather than
            relying on a single shot. For work I use an older Nikon coolpix (probably
            a little bigger than you want, but a good camera) - includes a program
            called Panorama Maker. I'm sure that there are other similar programs
            available.

            - Denis

            Denis M. Kearns
            Botanist
            Bureau of Land Management
            Bakersfield Field Office
            (661) 391-6115
          • David Inouye
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 14, 2008
              The newest version of Photoshop has a nice program for making panoramas.

              At 12:18 PM 1/14/2008, you wrote:

              >Sam -
              >
              >I take a lot of photos to document vegetation and the condition of the
              >public lands I visit. One thing that I have found extremely useful is a
              >program that stitches together adjacent photos to make a panorama shot. It
              >really conveys a much better idea of what a landscape is like, rather than
              >relying on a single shot. For work I use an older Nikon coolpix (probably
              >a little bigger than you want, but a good camera) - includes a program
              >called Panorama Maker. I'm sure that there are other similar programs
              >available.
              >
              >- Denis
              >
              >Denis M. Kearns
              >Botanist
              >Bureau of Land Management
              >Bakersfield Field Office
              >(661) 391-6115
            • patty_string
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 15, 2008
                Sam -

                I was shopping for digital cameras this past year and asked a friend
                that does a lot of photography. I ended up with the Cannon SD and
                it's been very good. Anyway, here are his recommendations:

                For starters, I really like having wide angle (28mm) capability.
                These all have it.

                For a small point and shoot I like the Canon SD 800 IS. It has a wide
                angle lens and zooms to 105mm which is great for portraits.

                http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/460255-
                REG/Canon_1270B001_PowerShot_SD800_IS_Digital.html

                For super image quality even in low light you need a DSLR. The Nikon
                D40 is a good choice. These are full size cameras, however. I Have a
                D70 if you want to try it.

                http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/471716-
                REG/Nikon_25420_D40_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

                Here's the Ricoh Caplio R6. This is the newer model of the camera I
                use as a pocket camera. I have a Ricoh Caplio R4. It has wide angle
                and telephoto capability. Ricoh is big outside the US . I like it
                because it has both wide angle and telephoto in a pocket camera.

                http://www.popflash.com/index.php?p=product&id=1522&parent=0

                Cheers,

                Patty
              • frozenbeedoc@cs.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 15, 2008
                  Sam,

                  I have a Pentax Optio E10.  Got it with Rewards Points on Am Exp, I think.  But i like the photos I get.  It have a number of options, including landscape, is a small camera, and it's easy to pop in a new card if you need more space.  I also got a very inexpensive USB plug in, that takes 4 sizes of photo cards for downloading.  And the camera comes with software, of course.  I pull most everything into PHotoshop if I intend to use it further.

                  Good luck, looks like there is more information than you wanted!

                  Anita
                • Joe Metzger
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 18, 2008
                    Sam,

                              Since brand and features and being the "latest" don't seem to matter. You might look for a model which is being discontinued. That way you get a new camera but usually at a much lower price because the company is trying to get rid of it so that it can sell it's new improved version.

                                                                                          Joe

                    To: beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com
                    From: sdroege@...
                    Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 09:04:47 -0500

                    Sam Droege  Sam_Droege@USGS. GOV
[...]

                  • Kim Bacon
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 18, 2008
                      Sam,

                      I just bought a new camera after looking around for quite a while. I ended up buying a
                      Canon Powershot G9. It is probably a bit more than you were asking for, but it will do all
                      that you asked. It is a high-end point and shoot which allows me to take close-ups
                      (minimum shooting distance in macro at 1 cm). I am still practicing getting bee photos
                      (those little guys are fast), but it's been great with other insects and, of course with
                      stationary objects. It has a huge LCD screen. It is still small enough to carry around
                      easily. It takes great landscape photos.

                      I opted for the G9 (which is an expensive Point and Shoot) over a digital SLR because the
                      G9 shoots video (which the SLR's do not do). I like to take video of sites (and insects) as
                      well as still photos. I use a Mac system and have found it very easy to download both still
                      and video to the computer. I can't speak for ease of use on other systems.

                      I had been using a Canon Powershot A510 before I got my new camera. It is several years
                      old but also takes great landscape photos. It is pretty useless for any quick close-up work,
                      however. But it is rugged and is still the camera I throw in a field bag and don't worry
                      about. If money is the deciding factor and I only wanted landscape photos, I'd keep using
                      my A510. Cheaper and more rugged. If I wanted to be able to take a close-up of anything
                      unusual I find, I would have to realize that the A510 probably wasn't going to take a great
                      photo (and the G9 would).

                      Hope this adds to the confusion.

                      Kim Bacon
                    • Robert Jean
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 19, 2008
                        Sam,
                        I recently purchased a Canon Powershot A720.  I have found it to be a great camera.  I like it over the SD types because it is slightly larger and has a bigger screen and more options and accessories.  Anyway it shoots great quality pictures and video.
                        Rob Jean