Re: [beemonitoring] Re: Trap nests for Ceratina and other orphans

  • Matthew McKinney
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 12, 2011
      Hey thanks for the tip. Next year I will try to bury my observation nests in the ground.

      -Matt
    • Jack Neff
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 12, 2011
        The only actual reference I'm aware of for using partially buried trap nests for Anthidium is Jaycox, 1966 (Pan-Pacific Entomologist 42:18-26)  for a study of Dioxys parasitizing nest of Anthidium utahense.  I don't have the ref handy but I don't think it is  particularly clear about methods.  He apparently partially buried wooden blocks with straws.  Krombein found Anthidium maculosum in trap nest stations placed on the desert floor in Arizona so maybe just low placement is sufficient for some taxa.  Most of the Anthidium nests I've encountered have been in banks so those might have a different search pattern and need a vertical soil surface.  Batra (1994) used adobe blocks as nest sites for Anthophora pilipes (Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington 96: 98-119).  Those bees excavate their own nests but one can create cavities in adobe by inserting dowels when pouring the stuff.  I've made "adobe" blocks for the benefit of bank nesting bees (like Lasioglossum zephyrum) by filling wooden forms with mud and letting them harden, then covering the top (to minimize erosion from rain) and exposing one of the sides to give the bees access.  Never did get Anthophora but the Lasioglossum liked them.  Did not try for Anthidium but they are not common locally.

        best

        Jack

        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 7, 2012
          Dear all,
          I've been trying to find our the foraging behavior of my stingless bees.  Efforts to attract them to a feeder of sugar solution with vanilla essence has not been successful. Not even their own honey will attract them.  Is anybody familiar with the set up and can please help? What should I do?
          Best wishes.
          Peter

          Dr. Peter K. Kwapong, Department of Entomology & Wildlife - International Stingless Bee Centre (ISBC), School of Biological Sciences, University of Cape Coast, Cape Coast. GHANA. Office Tel. +233 3321 31191 Home Tel. +233 3321 30102 Cell. +233 20 9764697, Fax +233 3321 35323. www.ucc.edu.gh