Re: Trap nests for Ceratina and other orphans

  • L B
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 10, 2011
      Hi Matt,

      I've had luck with trap-nesting Dianthidium in British Columbia, however I have not recorded any nests of Anthidium despite their co-occurrence and ample opportunity.

      Aside from nesting preferences, a potential issue could be the availability of nesting galleries in the summer due to substantial occupation from spring cavity nesters (Osmia!).

      Cheers,

      Lincoln

      --
      Lincoln R. Best
      MSc Candidate

      This message, including any attachments, is privileged and may contain confidential information intended only for the person(s) named above. Any other distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited. Communication by email is not a secure medium and, as part of the transmission process, this message may be copied to servers operated by third parties while in transit. Unless you advise us to the contrary, by accepting communications that may contain your personal information from us via email, you are deemed to provide your consent to our transmission of the contents of this message in this manner. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply email and permanently delete the original transmission from us, including any attachments, without making a copy.
      ******************************

    • Jack Neff
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 11, 2011
        Most Anthidium seem to nest in prexisting cavities in the soil so most species  won't show up in standard trap nest arrays.  Some people have had success by partially burying trap nests or creating artificial soil banks with cavities in them.

        best

        Jack

[...]

      • Messinger, Wes NWP
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 12, 2011
          Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
          Caveats: NONE

          Please pass refs for these 2 methods below? Thx --W

          --
          Wes Messinger
          Botanist, USACE Willamette Valley Projects

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 12, 2011
            Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
            Caveats: NONE

            Woohoo this is fun. Idle notes from W OR:

            _Ceratina_ are at least investigating or bivouacking in _Perowskia_,
            _Sidalcea cusickii_, and _Epilobium (=Chamerion) angustifolium_ stems that
            remain standing from previous seasons in my yard. I've noted only _Ceratina_
            so far this season in my horizontal teasel trap nests (2-18mm).

            Widely various (3-7mm?) holes in firewood all filled last year, late June
            _Osmia_ are now re-using some of them, but many still have pebble covers in
            place, for which I assume _Hoplitis_. Neither these trap nests or pilot
            blocks this year at work really started picking anything up until June, so
            all the fruit trees were done and I assume no early _Osmia_ have got the hint
            so far.

            Whee. --Wes

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 12, 2011
              Hey thanks for the tip. Next year I will try to bury my observation nests in the ground.

              -Matt
            • Jack Neff
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 12, 2011
                The only actual reference I'm aware of for using partially buried trap nests for Anthidium is Jaycox, 1966 (Pan-Pacific Entomologist 42:18-26)  for a study of Dioxys parasitizing nest of Anthidium utahense.  I don't have the ref handy but I don't think it is  particularly clear about methods.  He apparently partially buried wooden blocks with straws.  Krombein found Anthidium maculosum in trap nest stations placed on the desert floor in Arizona so maybe just low placement is sufficient for some taxa.  Most of the Anthidium nests I've encountered have been in banks so those might have a different search pattern and need a vertical soil surface.  Batra (1994) used adobe blocks as nest sites for Anthophora pilipes (Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington 96: 98-119).  Those bees excavate their own nests but one can create cavities in adobe by inserting dowels when pouring the stuff.  I've made "adobe" blocks for the benefit of bank nesting bees (like Lasioglossum zephyrum) by filling wooden forms with mud and letting them harden, then covering the top (to minimize erosion from rain) and exposing one of the sides to give the bees access.  Never did get Anthophora but the Lasioglossum liked them.  Did not try for Anthidium but they are not common locally.

                best

                Jack

                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 7, 2012
                  Dear all,
                  I've been trying to find our the foraging behavior of my stingless bees.  Efforts to attract them to a feeder of sugar solution with vanilla essence has not been successful. Not even their own honey will attract them.  Is anybody familiar with the set up and can please help? What should I do?
                  Best wishes.
                  Peter

                  Dr. Peter K. Kwapong, Department of Entomology & Wildlife - International Stingless Bee Centre (ISBC), School of Biological Sciences, University of Cape Coast, Cape Coast. GHANA. Office Tel. +233 3321 31191 Home Tel. +233 3321 30102 Cell. +233 20 9764697, Fax +233 3321 35323. www.ucc.edu.gh