RE: [beemonitoring] Trap nests for Ceratina and other orphans

  • Cane, Jim
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 8, 2011

      Folks- I can echo Laurence’s advocacy for retaining the previous year’s cut raspberry stems for Ceratina.  It is working here in my yard in Utah, and on 300 contiguous acres of commercial raspberries in western Oregon, the Ceratina were literally >10x more common than sweat bees!  I’ve adopted that grower’s method, which is to cut off the old canes about a foot high and just leaving them, rather than cutting them to the ground like most everyone else does.  Our tiny Ceratina here also have adopted cut stems of our Perovskia (Russian sage).

      Yours,

      Jim cane

    • Nichola E. Thompson
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 8, 2011
        hi all
        i was at the xerces training recently. we were reminded that some stems that are too tuff yet have pithy cores, may make good nesting sites. you'd use your large drill bit to bore a hole in the stem's side. this isn't a 'natural' way, perhaps, to propagate natives. yet it may allow a boost in populations, occasionally. also for small berry-less gardeners, it's an alternative.
        praying mantids seem to like the taller sorts of stems, waving about  at 5-10 ft, like joe pye and ironweed.
        this week got stung for the 1st time by a native somebody. ouch!
        lastly, i circle my cold yard waste compost with old stumps of all sizes rather than wire or other materials. rearranging the layout every spring, i can use them for years before they rot completely. they are quite the bee condo! there were many brilliant emerald green metallic body parts scattered on one stump this spring.
        nikki thompson
        hyattsville, md

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 8, 2011
          Thanks to all who have reponded so far. Very useful information.

          > There's more to suitability than diameter, and any estimates based

          Believe me, I am completely aware of this. I just need something to start with that an undergraduate can do for part of her undergrad research experience -- so we are attempting a protocol that will measure many things, one of which is stem number. This is just a first step, with much refining to come when there is more time.

          Best to all,
          Kim

          > solely on diameter are going to vastly overestimate available nesting
          > substrate. Only a fraction of the plants in a given area will have a
          > pithy stem core suitable for burrows, and the requirement for the
          > plant parts to be dry pretty much eliminates anything that isn't
          > perennial (I've certainly never heard of bees nesting in the stems of
          > any annuals). Otherwise, 3 mm seems like a perfectly reasonable
          > cutoff, but you have to realize that not all stems are created
          > equal...
          >
          > Peace,
          > --
          >
          > Doug Yanega Dept. of Entomology Entomology Research Museum
          > Univ. of California, Riverside, CA 92521-0314 skype: dyanega
          > phone: (951) 827-4315 (standard disclaimer: opinions are mine, not UCR's)
          > http://cache.ucr.edu/~heraty/yanega.html
          > "There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness
          > is the true method" - Herman Melville, Moby Dick, Chap. 82

        • Matthew McKinney
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 9, 2011
            I have been trying to attract Anthidium to nest in artificial nesting
            blocks but haven't had much luck. Has anyone else tried this?

            -Matt
          • J. Scott MacIvor
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 9, 2011
            Hi All,

            I'm in the first year of a multi-year PhD project (under the supervision of Dr. Laurence Packer) using nestboxes made from PVC piping and paper tubes - very inexpensive and fairly durable. See pictures attached. There are about 210 boxes set up all over the city of Toronto and surrounding areas, and about 50 more I've mailing them out to participants in cities all over North America (this component of the project focuses on nestboxes on green roofs). I anticipate the latter component of the study to expand in 2012. All of this will be tracked on the website www.TObee.ca.

            So far the nestboxes have been very well colonized - with lots of Hylaeus, Hoplitis, several Megachile and Osmia species, and possibly Anthidium. Wasps of course too. These groups of bees I've listed is based on observations of bees at nestboxes (all in Toronto), and the materials used to plug-up completed tubes. My design does not permit open-and-close viewing of colonization throughout the study season without disrupting the nests, meaning I won't know for sure which species are using the nestboxes until Winter or so. It'll be a surprise - and I'll keep the group posted.

            Take care,

            Scott

            On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Matthew McKinney <mm.entomology@...> wrote:

            I have been trying to attract Anthidium to nest in artificial nesting
            blocks but haven't had much luck. Has anyone else tried this?

            -Matt

            --
            J. Scott MacIvor
            PhD. Candidate
            Biology Department
            York University
            Toronto ON
            M3J 1P3
            Mobile: (416) 844-8093

            Website: www.TObee.ca

          • L B
            Message 6 of 21 , Jul 10, 2011
              Hi Matt,

              I've had luck with trap-nesting Dianthidium in British Columbia, however I have not recorded any nests of Anthidium despite their co-occurrence and ample opportunity.

              Aside from nesting preferences, a potential issue could be the availability of nesting galleries in the summer due to substantial occupation from spring cavity nesters (Osmia!).

              Cheers,

              Lincoln

              --
              Lincoln R. Best
              MSc Candidate

              This message, including any attachments, is privileged and may contain confidential information intended only for the person(s) named above. Any other distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited. Communication by email is not a secure medium and, as part of the transmission process, this message may be copied to servers operated by third parties while in transit. Unless you advise us to the contrary, by accepting communications that may contain your personal information from us via email, you are deemed to provide your consent to our transmission of the contents of this message in this manner. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply email and permanently delete the original transmission from us, including any attachments, without making a copy.
              ******************************

            • Jack Neff
              Message 7 of 21 , Jul 11, 2011
                Most Anthidium seem to nest in prexisting cavities in the soil so most species  won't show up in standard trap nest arrays.  Some people have had success by partially burying trap nests or creating artificial soil banks with cavities in them.

                best

                Jack

[...]

              • Messinger, Wes NWP
                Message 8 of 21 , Jul 12, 2011
                  Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
                  Caveats: NONE

                  Please pass refs for these 2 methods below? Thx --W

                  --
                  Wes Messinger
                  Botanist, USACE Willamette Valley Projects

                  Message 9 of 21 , Jul 12, 2011
                    Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
                    Caveats: NONE

                    Woohoo this is fun. Idle notes from W OR:

                    _Ceratina_ are at least investigating or bivouacking in _Perowskia_,
                    _Sidalcea cusickii_, and _Epilobium (=Chamerion) angustifolium_ stems that
                    remain standing from previous seasons in my yard. I've noted only _Ceratina_
                    so far this season in my horizontal teasel trap nests (2-18mm).

                    Widely various (3-7mm?) holes in firewood all filled last year, late June
                    _Osmia_ are now re-using some of them, but many still have pebble covers in
                    place, for which I assume _Hoplitis_. Neither these trap nests or pilot
                    blocks this year at work really started picking anything up until June, so
                    all the fruit trees were done and I assume no early _Osmia_ have got the hint
                    so far.

                    Whee. --Wes

                    Message 10 of 21 , Jul 12, 2011
                      Hey thanks for the tip. Next year I will try to bury my observation nests in the ground.

                      -Matt
                    • Jack Neff
                      Message 11 of 21 , Jul 12, 2011
                        The only actual reference I'm aware of for using partially buried trap nests for Anthidium is Jaycox, 1966 (Pan-Pacific Entomologist 42:18-26)  for a study of Dioxys parasitizing nest of Anthidium utahense.  I don't have the ref handy but I don't think it is  particularly clear about methods.  He apparently partially buried wooden blocks with straws.  Krombein found Anthidium maculosum in trap nest stations placed on the desert floor in Arizona so maybe just low placement is sufficient for some taxa.  Most of the Anthidium nests I've encountered have been in banks so those might have a different search pattern and need a vertical soil surface.  Batra (1994) used adobe blocks as nest sites for Anthophora pilipes (Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington 96: 98-119).  Those bees excavate their own nests but one can create cavities in adobe by inserting dowels when pouring the stuff.  I've made "adobe" blocks for the benefit of bank nesting bees (like Lasioglossum zephyrum) by filling wooden forms with mud and letting them harden, then covering the top (to minimize erosion from rain) and exposing one of the sides to give the bees access.  Never did get Anthophora but the Lasioglossum liked them.  Did not try for Anthidium but they are not common locally.

                        best

                        Jack

                        Message 12 of 21 , Jun 7, 2012
                          Dear all,
                          I've been trying to find our the foraging behavior of my stingless bees.  Efforts to attract them to a feeder of sugar solution with vanilla essence has not been successful. Not even their own honey will attract them.  Is anybody familiar with the set up and can please help? What should I do?
                          Best wishes.
                          Peter

                          Dr. Peter K. Kwapong, Department of Entomology & Wildlife - International Stingless Bee Centre (ISBC), School of Biological Sciences, University of Cape Coast, Cape Coast. GHANA. Office Tel. +233 3321 31191 Home Tel. +233 3321 30102 Cell. +233 20 9764697, Fax +233 3321 35323. www.ucc.edu.gh