Re: [beemonitoring] soil measures & bee nesting

  • Jack Neff
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 7 3:16 PM
      I  have found megachilid nests in the dried stems and branches of a variety of annuals (giant ragweed and various other annuals with pithy stems) so I  don't think the annual/perennial distinction is an absolute divide for nest site acceptability.  However, I certainly agree with Doug that diameter alone would be almost worthless in estimating nest site availability.  Even many plant species with pithy stems don't seem to be regularly perceived as acceptable nest sites by bees so one would have to restrict ones counts to species that are actually used for nests, not just things that meet some set of arbitrary criteria.

      best

      Jack

      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 7 5:24 PM

        We are all familiar with the spring Osmia hole nesting species and there are plenty of websites to document that.  An assumption in many of these operations is that if it is good for Osmia it is good for all the other cavity nesting species.

        I know there are papers out there on species/hole sizes and I know that Frank Parker has used cut stems of various plants to attract nesting Ceratinas and Hoplitis, but those approaches rarely get incorporated into information for gardeners or the conservation minded and it wouldn't be hard to add that.

        It would be nice to see a more integrated cavity nesting approach and I would think it would make for a lovely Masters project to develop and test various approaches to increasing ALL cavity nesters.

        PASSAGE

        The hole sheared out of the roseleaf
        by the leaf-cutting bee,

        the jagged track above the grass
        as the insect finds its rhythm,
        dizzily trimming discs
        from the leafy air,

        the fencepost, still as a heron,
        simultaneously considered
        and rejected,

        the crevice between shingles
        also turned away from,

        an abrupt descent to earth
        below spear level,
        below the congregations
        of crickets,

        to a chipped stone in the dirt,
        its inviting lip,

        the cavity precisely dark
        and generous enough,

        the tunneling and rolling,
        the mixture of saliva and pollen,

        the stowing and masticating,
        the capping and cradling,
        an arrangement by age

        between meticulous forays
        to carve yet another green seal
        from the leaf of the rose,

        the redundant rose,
        its white weight
        hauling every stem away
        from a consenting trellis.

          -  Erica Funkhouser

        From:Jack Neff <jlnatctmi@...>
        To:Doug Yanega <dyanega@...>, "beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com" <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
        Date:07/07/2011 06:36 PM
        Sent by:beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

        I  have found megachilid nests in the dried stems and branches of a variety of annuals (giant ragweed and various other annuals with pithy stems) so I  don't think the annual/perennial distinction is an absolute divide for nest site acceptability.  However, I certainly agree with Doug that diameter alone would be almost worthless in estimating nest site availability.  Even many plant species with pithy stems don't seem to be regularly perceived as acceptable nest sites by bees so one would have to restrict ones counts to species that are actually used for nests, not just things that meet some set of arbitrary criteria.

        best

        Jack

        Re: [beemonitoring] soil measures & bee nesting

        >Also, I am interesting in counting stems in sample plots that could
        >*potentially* be used by cavity nesting bees. How large must a stem
        >be to be used by the smallest bee? I was thinking of a 3mm diameter
        >minimum, but not sure if that makes sense.

        There's more to suitability than diameter, and any estimates based
        solely on diameter are going to vastly overestimate available nesting
        substrate. Only a fraction of the plants in a given area will have a
        pithy stem core suitable for burrows, and the requirement for the
        plant parts to be dry pretty much eliminates anything that isn't
        perennial (I've certainly never heard of bees nesting in the stems of
        any annuals). Otherwise, 3 mm seems like a perfectly reasonable
        cutoff, but you have to realize that not all stems are created
        equal...

        Peace,

      • Laurence Packer
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 7 7:42 PM
          raspberries, raspberries, raspberries!
          Old stems perfect for many bees (at least three genera in my garden), the flowers are perfect for many more bees and the fruits go well with almost any meal.  I encourage responsible non-disposal of all old stems in all my talks to the general public.
          cheers

          laurence

          Re: [beemonitoring] soil measures & bee nesting

          >Also, I am interesting in counting stems in sample plots that could
          >*potentially* be used by cavity nesting bees. How large must a stem
          >be to be used by the smallest bee? I was thinking of a 3mm diameter
          >minimum, but not sure if that makes sense.

          There's more to suitability than diameter, and any estimates based
          solely on diameter are going to vastly overestimate available nesting
          substrate. Only a fraction of the plants in a given area will have a
          pithy stem core suitable for burrows, and the requirement for the
          plant parts to be dry pretty much eliminates anything that isn't
          perennial (I've certainly never heard of bees nesting in the stems of
          any annuals). Otherwise, 3 mm seems like a perfectly reasonable
          cutoff, but you have to realize that not all stems are created
          equal...

          Peace,

        • Wilson, Michael E
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 8 4:06 AM
            Yes, I follow that advise, after finding Ceratina both in the old stems of my wild blackberry stand and pollinating in my garden!
            -Michael

            Old stems perfect for many bees (at least three genera in my garden), the flowers are perfect for many more bees and the fruits go well with almost any meal.  I encourage responsible non-disposal of all old stems in all my talks to the general public.
            cheers

            laurence

            Re: [beemonitoring] soil measures & bee nesting

            >Also, I am interesting in counting stems in sample plots that could
            >*potentially* be used by cavity nesting bees. How large must a stem
            >be to be used by the smallest bee? I was thinking of a 3mm diameter
            >minimum, but not sure if that makes sense.

            There's more to suitability than diameter, and any estimates based
            solely on diameter are going to vastly overestimate available nesting
            substrate. Only a fraction of the plants in a given area will have a
            pithy stem core suitable for burrows, and the requirement for the
            plant parts to be dry pretty much eliminates anything that isn't
            perennial (I've certainly never heard of bees nesting in the stems of
            any annuals). Otherwise, 3 mm seems like a perfectly reasonable
            cutoff, but you have to realize that not all stems are created
            equal...

            Peace,

          • Deana Crumbling
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 8 4:48 AM
            Is it important to the bees that the stems be allowed to stand through
            the winter? Or can they be cut and laid horizontal in a central
            location?

            --Deana

            From: "Wilson, Michael E" <mwilso14@...>
            To: Laurence Packer <laurencepacker@...>
            Cc: "beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com"
            <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
            Date: 07/08/2011 07:08 AM
            Subject: RE: [beemonitoring] Trap nests for Ceratina and other
            orphans
[...]

            sam

            Sam Droege sdroege@...
            BARC-EAST, BLDG 308, RM 124 10300 Balt. Ave., Beltsville, MD 20705
            Http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov

[...]

            From:
            Jack Neff <jlnatctmi@...>
            To:
            Doug Yanega <dyanega@...>, "beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com" <beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com>
            Date:
            07/07/2011 06:36 PM
            Re: [beemonitoring] soil measures & bee nesting
            Sent by:
            beemonitoring@yahoogroups.com

            I have found megachilid nests in the dried stems and branches of a variety of annuals (giant ragweed and various other annuals with
            pithy stems) so I don't think the annual/perennial distinction is an absolute divide for nest site acceptability. However, I certainly
            agree with Doug that diameter alone would be almost worthless in estimating nest site availability. Even many plant species with pithy
            stems don't seem to be regularly perceived as acceptable nest sites by bees so one would have to restrict ones counts to species that
            are actually used for nests, not just things that meet some set of arbitrary criteria.

            best

            Jack

            >Also, I am interesting in counting stems in sample plots that could
            >*potentially* be used by cavity nesting bees. How large must a stem
            >be to be used by the smallest bee? I was thinking of a 3mm diameter
            >minimum, but not sure if that makes sense.

            There's more to suitability than diameter, and any estimates based
            solely on diameter are going to vastly overestimate available nesting
            substrate. Only a fraction of the plants in a given area will have a
            pithy stem core suitable for burrows, and the requirement for the
            plant parts to be dry pretty much eliminates anything that isn't
            perennial (I've certainly never heard of bees nesting in the stems of
            any annuals). Otherwise, 3 mm seems like a perfectly reasonable
            cutoff, but you have to realize that not all stems are created
            equal...

            Peace,

          • Cane, Jim
            Message 6 of 21 , Jul 8 8:58 AM

              Folks- I can echo Laurence’s advocacy for retaining the previous year’s cut raspberry stems for Ceratina.  It is working here in my yard in Utah, and on 300 contiguous acres of commercial raspberries in western Oregon, the Ceratina were literally >10x more common than sweat bees!  I’ve adopted that grower’s method, which is to cut off the old canes about a foot high and just leaving them, rather than cutting them to the ground like most everyone else does.  Our tiny Ceratina here also have adopted cut stems of our Perovskia (Russian sage).

              Yours,

              Jim cane

            • Nichola E. Thompson
              Message 7 of 21 , Jul 8 9:10 AM
                hi all
                i was at the xerces training recently. we were reminded that some stems that are too tuff yet have pithy cores, may make good nesting sites. you'd use your large drill bit to bore a hole in the stem's side. this isn't a 'natural' way, perhaps, to propagate natives. yet it may allow a boost in populations, occasionally. also for small berry-less gardeners, it's an alternative.
                praying mantids seem to like the taller sorts of stems, waving about  at 5-10 ft, like joe pye and ironweed.
                this week got stung for the 1st time by a native somebody. ouch!
                lastly, i circle my cold yard waste compost with old stumps of all sizes rather than wire or other materials. rearranging the layout every spring, i can use them for years before they rot completely. they are quite the bee condo! there were many brilliant emerald green metallic body parts scattered on one stump this spring.
                nikki thompson
                hyattsville, md

                Folks- I can echo Laurence’s advocacy for retaining the previous year’s cut raspberry stems for Ceratina.  It is working here in my yard in Utah, and on 300 contiguous acres of commercial raspberries in western Oregon, the Ceratina were literally >10x more common than sweat bees!  I’ve adopted that grower’s method, which is to cut off the old canes about a foot high and just leaving them, rather than cutting them to the ground like most everyone else does.  Our tiny Ceratina here also have adopted cut stems of our Perovskia (Russian sage).

                Yours,

                Jim cane

              • Kimberly N. Russell
                Message 8 of 21 , Jul 8 11:27 AM
                  Thanks to all who have reponded so far. Very useful information.

                  > There's more to suitability than diameter, and any estimates based

                  Believe me, I am completely aware of this. I just need something to start with that an undergraduate can do for part of her undergrad research experience -- so we are attempting a protocol that will measure many things, one of which is stem number. This is just a first step, with much refining to come when there is more time.

                  Best to all,
                  Kim

                  > solely on diameter are going to vastly overestimate available nesting
                  > substrate. Only a fraction of the plants in a given area will have a
                  > pithy stem core suitable for burrows, and the requirement for the
                  > plant parts to be dry pretty much eliminates anything that isn't
                  > perennial (I've certainly never heard of bees nesting in the stems of
                  > any annuals). Otherwise, 3 mm seems like a perfectly reasonable
                  > cutoff, but you have to realize that not all stems are created
                  > equal...
                  >
                  > Peace,
                  > --
                  >
                  > Doug Yanega Dept. of Entomology Entomology Research Museum
                  > Univ. of California, Riverside, CA 92521-0314 skype: dyanega
                  > phone: (951) 827-4315 (standard disclaimer: opinions are mine, not UCR's)
                  > http://cache.ucr.edu/~heraty/yanega.html
                  > "There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness
                  > is the true method" - Herman Melville, Moby Dick, Chap. 82

                • Matthew McKinney
                  Message 9 of 21 , Jul 9 7:30 AM
                    I have been trying to attract Anthidium to nest in artificial nesting
                    blocks but haven't had much luck. Has anyone else tried this?

                    -Matt
                  • J. Scott MacIvor
                    Message 10 of 21 , Jul 9 10:22 AM
                    Hi All,

                    I'm in the first year of a multi-year PhD project (under the supervision of Dr. Laurence Packer) using nestboxes made from PVC piping and paper tubes - very inexpensive and fairly durable. See pictures attached. There are about 210 boxes set up all over the city of Toronto and surrounding areas, and about 50 more I've mailing them out to participants in cities all over North America (this component of the project focuses on nestboxes on green roofs). I anticipate the latter component of the study to expand in 2012. All of this will be tracked on the website www.TObee.ca.

                    So far the nestboxes have been very well colonized - with lots of Hylaeus, Hoplitis, several Megachile and Osmia species, and possibly Anthidium. Wasps of course too. These groups of bees I've listed is based on observations of bees at nestboxes (all in Toronto), and the materials used to plug-up completed tubes. My design does not permit open-and-close viewing of colonization throughout the study season without disrupting the nests, meaning I won't know for sure which species are using the nestboxes until Winter or so. It'll be a surprise - and I'll keep the group posted.

                    Take care,

                    Scott

                    On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Matthew McKinney <mm.entomology@...> wrote:

                    I have been trying to attract Anthidium to nest in artificial nesting
                    blocks but haven't had much luck. Has anyone else tried this?

                    -Matt

                    --
                    J. Scott MacIvor
                    PhD. Candidate
                    Biology Department
                    York University
                    Toronto ON
                    M3J 1P3
                    Mobile: (416) 844-8093

                    Website: www.TObee.ca

                  • L B
                    Message 11 of 21 , Jul 10 3:36 PM
                      Hi Matt,

                      I've had luck with trap-nesting Dianthidium in British Columbia, however I have not recorded any nests of Anthidium despite their co-occurrence and ample opportunity.

                      Aside from nesting preferences, a potential issue could be the availability of nesting galleries in the summer due to substantial occupation from spring cavity nesters (Osmia!).

                      Cheers,

                      Lincoln

                      --
                      Lincoln R. Best
                      MSc Candidate

                      This message, including any attachments, is privileged and may contain confidential information intended only for the person(s) named above. Any other distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited. Communication by email is not a secure medium and, as part of the transmission process, this message may be copied to servers operated by third parties while in transit. Unless you advise us to the contrary, by accepting communications that may contain your personal information from us via email, you are deemed to provide your consent to our transmission of the contents of this message in this manner. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply email and permanently delete the original transmission from us, including any attachments, without making a copy.
                      ******************************

                    • Jack Neff
                      Message 12 of 21 , Jul 11 7:24 AM
                        Most Anthidium seem to nest in prexisting cavities in the soil so most species  won't show up in standard trap nest arrays.  Some people have had success by partially burying trap nests or creating artificial soil banks with cavities in them.

                        best

                        Jack

[...]

                      • Messinger, Wes NWP
                        Message 13 of 21 , Jul 12 10:06 AM
                          Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
                          Caveats: NONE

                          Please pass refs for these 2 methods below? Thx --W

                          --
                          Wes Messinger
                          Botanist, USACE Willamette Valley Projects

                          Message 14 of 21 , Jul 12 10:15 AM
                            Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
                            Caveats: NONE

                            Woohoo this is fun. Idle notes from W OR:

                            _Ceratina_ are at least investigating or bivouacking in _Perowskia_,
                            _Sidalcea cusickii_, and _Epilobium (=Chamerion) angustifolium_ stems that
                            remain standing from previous seasons in my yard. I've noted only _Ceratina_
                            so far this season in my horizontal teasel trap nests (2-18mm).

                            Widely various (3-7mm?) holes in firewood all filled last year, late June
                            _Osmia_ are now re-using some of them, but many still have pebble covers in
                            place, for which I assume _Hoplitis_. Neither these trap nests or pilot
                            blocks this year at work really started picking anything up until June, so
                            all the fruit trees were done and I assume no early _Osmia_ have got the hint
                            so far.

                            Whee. --Wes

                            Message 15 of 21 , Jul 12 10:16 AM
                              Hey thanks for the tip. Next year I will try to bury my observation nests in the ground.

                              -Matt
                            • Jack Neff
                              Message 16 of 21 , Jul 12 11:33 AM
                                The only actual reference I'm aware of for using partially buried trap nests for Anthidium is Jaycox, 1966 (Pan-Pacific Entomologist 42:18-26)  for a study of Dioxys parasitizing nest of Anthidium utahense.  I don't have the ref handy but I don't think it is  particularly clear about methods.  He apparently partially buried wooden blocks with straws.  Krombein found Anthidium maculosum in trap nest stations placed on the desert floor in Arizona so maybe just low placement is sufficient for some taxa.  Most of the Anthidium nests I've encountered have been in banks so those might have a different search pattern and need a vertical soil surface.  Batra (1994) used adobe blocks as nest sites for Anthophora pilipes (Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington 96: 98-119).  Those bees excavate their own nests but one can create cavities in adobe by inserting dowels when pouring the stuff.  I've made "adobe" blocks for the benefit of bank nesting bees (like Lasioglossum zephyrum) by filling wooden forms with mud and letting them harden, then covering the top (to minimize erosion from rain) and exposing one of the sides to give the bees access.  Never did get Anthophora but the Lasioglossum liked them.  Did not try for Anthidium but they are not common locally.

                                best

                                Jack

                                Message 17 of 21 , Jun 7, 2012
                                  Dear all,
                                  I've been trying to find our the foraging behavior of my stingless bees.  Efforts to attract them to a feeder of sugar solution with vanilla essence has not been successful. Not even their own honey will attract them.  Is anybody familiar with the set up and can please help? What should I do?
                                  Best wishes.
                                  Peter

                                  Dr. Peter K. Kwapong, Department of Entomology & Wildlife - International Stingless Bee Centre (ISBC), School of Biological Sciences, University of Cape Coast, Cape Coast. GHANA. Office Tel. +233 3321 31191 Home Tel. +233 3321 30102 Cell. +233 20 9764697, Fax +233 3321 35323. www.ucc.edu.gh

                                  I am wondering if any of you have some suggestions for low-tech (low-cost!) ways to approximate soil compaction and soil composition (%sand/clay/silt/organic)? Has anyone tried suspending soil samples in water and measuring the separation (e.g., http://www.tulsamastergardeners.org/blackbox/soil_clas_calc.htm)? My goal is to characterize samples from various sites such that they can be compared with regards to compaction and composition.

                                  Also, I am interesting in counting stems in sample plots that could *potentially* be used by cavity nesting bees. How large must a stem be to be used by the smallest bee? I was thinking of a 3mm diameter minimum, but not sure if that makes sense.

                                  Thanks!
                                  Kim
                                  Dr. Kimberly N. Russell

                                  Research Scientist