Re: [beemonitoring] Megachile occurrence points in the Americas

  • Nicholas Stewart
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6, 2011
      Hello:

          Midway through my 2nd year of extensive sampling in my study's N GA apple orchards (spanning the breadth of the Piedmont Region of the state), I've managed to collect a number of megachilids from both my Feb-Nov 2010 & Feb-current 2011 sample sets (though, have only begun to sort and determine my 2011 sample set thus far). However, they're by far my least abundant Apoidea family (much less pollinating Dipterans) - esp. compared against my Andrena, Lasioglossum (Dialictus), Tiphiids and Augochlorini specimen sets!

      If you'd be interested in my megachilid findings, I can surely send you an abridged inventory for 2010, followed later by my 2011 data - once I get through both my current samples & those I've yet to conduct through Nov.

      ** The image below was taken by me for a Poster, but gives just a taste of some of the 40 some-odd species representing 12-14 species - I've grown quite a fondness for this fascinating group's varied morphology & behavior since beginning my work!**

      2010 Mega Sample Specimens.jpg

      Nicholas G. Stewart     Pollinator Project Logo.jpg
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Georgia Native Fruit Tree -----------------------------------------------------------------------
      -------------------------------- Pollinator Biodiversity Assessment,
      (2010-13)
      ----------------- Managing Native Pollinator Species Richness:   Efforts in Sustainable, Native Pollination Services -------
           Project Design   ---   Lead Field Researcher   ---   Primary Taxonomist
      nick.s2art@...   *(PRIMARY)*
      nstewart@...                                                                                         (404) 784-6236

      On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 2:03 PM, Daniel Paiva Silva <daniel.paivasilva@...> wrote:

      Dear all,

      I would like to ask you if any of you could provide me occurrence points of the bee species from the Megachile genus (Hymenoptera: Megachilidae) from the Neotropical region. I already searched for this data in some databases (such as Species Link and GBIF) and in ecological and taxonomic studies concerning this genus, but occurrence data for many  species are still missing. Do any of you know anyone who have access to museum speciemens who could provide me such information?

      Since I want to test the effects of the future global climate changes on the distribution of Megachile species, any occurrence data would be extremely helpful to me.

      Thank you very much!

      Daniel.

      ______
      Daniel de Paiva Silva

      Graduate Program in Ecology & Evolution
      Theoretical Ecology and Synthesis Lab - LETS
      Biological Sciences Institute - ICB - UFG
      Goiânia - Goiás - Brazil

      +55 62 8140.8800  - Cell Phone
      +55 62 3521.1373  - Lab

      LATTES CV: http://lattes.cnpq.br/1409353191899248