RE: [beemonitoring] Re: Specimen preparation

  • Zarrillo, Tracy
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2 8:58 AM
      Hi Nicholas,

      I was wondering if you can post a photo(s) of your tea-ball/electric pump method of "hair-styling". I have tried without success to rig up a variety of drying methods to save time, such as turning an old seed cleaner into a 'salon', and jerry-rigging a stand for my blow-dryer and drying jar out of a sink drying rack. Most genera did dry well with the drying rack set up, however Bombus required more TLC. I have not found a more satisfactory way to get them to fluff up save putting them into a jar, manually shaking them up like a cocktail, and blowdrying them for at least 3-5 minutes. I have even gone through the trouble of making "dryer balls" out of paper towels to add a bit more friction for the stubborn ones. As I am going to have lots of Bombus this field season to deal with, my colleagues and I are desperate to find an efficient method to deal with drying these fusspots. Thanks for the idea!

      Tracy

      Tracy Zarrillo
      The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station
      123 Huntington Street
      New Haven, CT 06511
      Tracy.Zarrillo@...
      (203) 974-8473