Re: [beemonitoring] A collecting trip to the Highlands of NC in 1920 with Ted Mitchell

  • Michael Feil
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2008
      Sam - That was a great set of notes.  I see traveling in the twenties was a lot harder than today. Last week we ( Caroline and I) singed up to go to the Galapagos Islands next week.  I think (I am assuming) my trip will have less surprises than Mitchell's travels in Georgia.
      I hope you had a good holiday season  Have a happy and good new year.  .

      Mike Feil
      getmikie@...

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2008
        Thanks, Sam:

        Very interesting, especially for me who just last November spent a few
        days at the Coweeta Hydrologic Lab in the mountains outside of Dillard.

        We flew into Asheville, had lunch at the Biltmore, and drove into the
        field station in a couple of hours. Lots of nice rooms and separate
        beds, lots of fast food places along the highway, etc. AND the USDA
        National Forest has preserved the wildness area just as it was in the
        1920s.

        Cheers

        F. Christian Thompson
        Systematic Entomology Lab., ARS, USDA