smelly bee

  • barbara.abraham@hamptonu.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2011
      All,

      I have collected two megachilids that I have tentatively keyed to Megachile mucida.  Both specimens smell like something dead (right after coming out of the freezer). Since none of the other large bees have had this odor, I am wondering if it is a pheromone or allomone produced by this species (if I have correctly identified it). It is a large Mechile with a bumblebee-like pattern collected on Salt Pond Mtn. in Giles Co., Va.

      Thanks for any ideas!

      Barb

      Barbara J Abraham, PhD
      Associate Professor of Biology